Gear You Can't Part With?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I was just now considering buying a new chest protector because the one I have is going on 5 years old (Thor :cool: ). It's cracked in a few places, the graphics are in bad shape, and the straps that hold the bicep guards are pretty stretched out. But still, I wear it on every ride. I also have this pair of blue and black Thor gloves that are nearly shredded from sliding on rocks and the fingertips are a little threadbare...but they were my FIRST pair of gloves and even though I have 4 other pair of nicer, newer ones, I still grab those ones to take as "spares" on every ride...

Any "can't let go's" in your gear bag?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
More than you know.... old boots, chest protectors, helmets, gloves, jerseys, etc... every time I load them in the trailer, I tell Red "maybe someone will wanna buy em at the track." Of course, I never promote that the stuff is available. Oh well.... maybe it's finally time to list some stuff on DRN! Red even has this pair of AXO boots from maybe 1996 in the garage still!! :yikes:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i still have my first pair of riding pants hanging in the garage. answer, white on front, red on back. i got them in '86.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I got an old pair of THOR mx socks, their about 5 years old, worn and stretched out.. I got a new pair of MX socks, but i cant and wont part w/my beloved THOR socks :coocoo:

my Chest protector is getting up there too, i just bought a under the jersey one, but have only worn it on the track once or twice..

Rick

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I save my helmets from over the years. THey are kind of funny to look at and think " that was actually a cool design?". But most of the older gear I hand it down to new riders to give them a head start.

But there is one pair of gloves that I cant get rid of. They are just to good of a fit, I dont even notice I have them on. But they look like garbage and are sun bleached and have a few holes.

A lot of times I will buy something new and I just like the fit of the older stuff and never use the new stuff.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Seems that all the gloves anymore insist on a velcro wrist closure. Still have a pair of the old MSR Rage gloves........good protection, elastic wrist, long lasting and comfortable. The "hard to wash" CTI knee braces are one of my favorites, but don't get too close!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I have an old HRP chest protector that I love but is seeing some age. I just got a flyer in the mail from them that there is a promotion where they'll give a $30 credir for your old protector on a new one. I guess I'll be getting a new one :)

I bring my old gear with me when I ride and give it to someone that is riding in jeans and a tee shirt. I saw a guy a few weeks ago riding in shorts and sneakers but he was way to big to fit into my stuff. I figured his gene pool would die out soon anyway :ohmy:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I still have my Fox 360 Red, White, and Blue gear that I bought in March of '03. Now, it's not that old, but for a while there it was the ONLY gear I had, so it's pretty worn.

I keep thinking I should donate it to someone who can use it, especially since the fit has gone from comfortable to a bit snug and it's got all kinds of patches, tears, burns, etc...but I just can't seem to part with it.

It was, after all, my first set of gear!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I have an old helmet on a shelf in my shop area. The rubber edging is falling off, it's pretty rank inside but the cracked foam inside and th minor scuff on the outside are a good reminder to always wear a helmet. I had some old Fox gloves that I finally gave to a kid that didn't have any last time we went riding and he was thrilled.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
These are boot I bought in 1986, I've had others over the years but they always get worn out and then I go back to these. I don't know why but I love these boots :nod:

Attachments

• Boots.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 167

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
mx547 said:
i still have my first pair of riding pants hanging in the garage. answer, white on front, red on back. i got them in '86.

OMG! I have my red pants from '86 as well! Plus, I still have a pair of O'neil boots from '87. They are dryrotting on a shelf in my garage in plain view.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I forgot about my open face Bell helmet from 1974. I finally threw it out a couple of years ago but it was hard to do :( It still had duct tape holding on the duck bill visor and a Jofa mouth guard hanging off the side.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Up until 2001 I'll I ever had for riding gear was a helmet. Old open face Blue, however I think the wife may have recycled it :(

AndyO

Jun 11, 2006
I have an old Fox gear bag that I cant part ways with. I used the bag to hold my deployment gear when I was in the Air Force. That bags seen just about every continent.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Last fall at a harescrambles there was a guy wearing a complete JT gear set from about 1984 or so, it was way cool.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
kmccune said:
Last fall at a harescrambles there was a guy wearing a complete JT gear set from about 1984 or so, it was way cool.

And he still fit in it too! :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Well it was very faded, but yup he fit in and went fast too on his IT400 ! :nod:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
My old HJC helmet.
Its still in good shape & safe, but i have been tempted to get something a bit more modern.
But it was an anniverswery present from my exwife.
Just cant convince myself to get rid of it. :fft:

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Heh heh...
IVe got these UFO pants from back when i could fit into a 36....they are purple,yellow,blue, checkered, etc...they have Kevlar knees with shark mouth graphics on them, so my knees look like a WWII fighter plane nose. Very early 90s.
They are loud and obnoxious and dont fit anymore, but I cant bring myself to toss them!

:)

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I still use the Scott goggle bag from my first pair of goggles I purchased in 1979. The material is thin and the threads are almost gone, but it's still my favorite goggle bag!

Gear that is not longer used but I can't part with:

-First pair of Fox gloves from 1982 - Remember when real leather was still used in at least the palm of the glove?
JT mouth guard for a open face helmet from 1982
-Red and blue Moto X Fox pants from 1984
-RJ signature series Fox jersey from 1985
-Fox gloves from 1986
-HRP chest protector from 1989
-Answer jersey and riding pants from 1991, dayglow yellow. These are tucked far away as they create nightmares for the young and old alike! :whoa:
- I also have 3 old Bell helmets that were all retired due to crash damage. Two of them are cracked and the third was suspect.

I'm sure there is more, but its been a while since I looked through the old bag of goodies. ;)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Sawblade said:
Moto X Fox

I miss the Moto X Fox stuff, now it's just Fox. I think I will start a seach for a cool T-shirt with the old logo.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I almost sold a pair of pants, but Chili didn't want 'em . . .

my wife thinks 6 pair of pants might be a few too many.

I also can't part with any helmets, since we custom painted them. Even the kids'.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
XRpredator said:
I almost sold a pair of pants, but Chili didn't want 'em . . .
:laugh:

I still have all of my old pants too, just wish that they still fit me :laugh: :laugh:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I remember one time Big Lou sold some gift pants.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
GETMETOCA said:
I remember one time Big Lou sold some gift pants.
OUCH!! :whoa:

he had to, though. He ran out of cheese at home.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…