gearing for my kdx 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I am a little new to motor cycle mechanics. I have a question to ask about sporckets sizes, gear rations and speed versus torque output. The KDX 200 was equipted from the factory with a 14/47 gear. I would like to make mine a little faster about 60 to 65 M.P.H. at a comfortable R.P.M. range, as we are making it street legal. I am going off of my knowledge of bicycle gears as a starting point. On a bicycle if you use a bigger ring in the front and a smaller ring in the rear you get less torque and more top end and vice versa. Here in lies my problem. The gear set on a motor cycle is reversed. So does this then reverse the way the gears work. Smaller in front means more top end less torque or should it work the same. If I went to 15/48 would i get more top end or more torque. Please help, I really need it.

Thanks,

Jim Boston

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
You get the same effect on a motorcycle than on a bicycle...Bigger on front mean more speed-less torque.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Stock is actually a 13 up front.

I don't know about HP and torque, but a bigger sprocket up front and/or a larger sprocket in the rear is what you need.

Both my '87 and '94 were clocked at 70 mph, top speed, full throttle/RPM, as fast as she will go/shut 'er down before you blow 'er up.

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
Less teeth on the rear sprocket will increase your top end but you will have a reduction in torque.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
thanks every body this has helped! i went with a 14/46. And stock or factory equipt was 13/47 so i went up 1 tooth up front and 1 out the rear. KAY DEE EXER i wish mine had titties it's got alot of balls but no titties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…