mjb1120

Jul 1, 2007
1996 KDX 200 - Does anyone have the procedure for reinstalling the exhaust valve assembly. Just rebuilt the top end of the bike, the only manual I have does not show the same exhaust valve that I have. The manual is showing punch marks on the gears etc. for alignment. My gears for the valves are not marked. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
its hard to explain but put the valve in from the top so that looking at them throught the cylinder they are blocking the ports and so that they both open at the same time when turning the rack shaft (as it rack and pinion) the marks would be on the paw that has the left hand threads

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
If I want to be sure of the assembly going in right and I can't see any marks or the manual is not that clear, I get the valves timed in this way. I install the cylinder on the bottom end and postion the piston blow the exhaust port so I can see through the port (use a small flashlight in the barrel if necessary), then attach the powervalve actuating arm. I pull the arm out to the fully open position and look through the port opening. All the valves should be fully open in that position. If they aren't I reposition them till they are Then let the actuating arm snap back to the resting position. At that point all the valves should be closed and the lefthand resonator valve should be opened to the resonating chamber. Just readjust them till they are all doing what they need to do in the full open and full closed positions. Then bolt up the head and pipe and you are all set. :cool:

Top Bottom