Getting a leak from the front of the engine?

Leadster

Jul 19, 2005
Well when I turn the fuel valve on and leave it for a few seconds and try to kick start it, it will start. I mean I woke up this morning turned the fuel on and it kick started first time. Left it for a few hours and it just wouldn't kick start. I know ive got bad compression but it should start anyway. Me and a friend today bump started it with his bike toeing mine and it would fire right up. But it just wont start up when its sitting still.

The carb is fine, I haven't checked my reeds yet, but the major problem is im getting gas leaking from the front of the engine which connects the exhaust. I just know its not properly connected, its like the gas is going from the tank straight into the carb into the engine, and straight out of the exhaust connect bit and it hasnt got a chance to fire up. Also my spark plug is fine too.
So what im asking is what are the things I need to properly connect my exhaust to the engine. I got 2 springs which I know I should had 3, and the 2 I got arnt the best in the world. And I can't see no O-ring on the exhaust either. Help me please ! Thanks. :cool:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
the exhaust is good, do a search on "adjusting float"

or shut the fuel off every time and keep riding a half ass bike

just curious how somone comes to the conclusion that their motor is filling with gas , so they need to tighten the exhaust?? incredible

Leadster

Jul 19, 2005
Erm no im nor going to ride a half ass bike.

Just I want to know why is gas not being burt and why is it leaking from the front of the engine .....

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
If you leave your petcock on or have a bad "smiley-face" gasket in your petcock valve, that can combine with a high/sticky/dirty float needle. Fuel will run continuously into your crankcases until your tank empties.
Three springs; P/N: 90507-20052-00 SPRING, TENSION and one P/N: 93210-472A9-00 O-RING will fix your exhaust connection problem. A 3AJ-24534-00-00 SEAL, **** is the gasket used in the petcock valve and a 4MX-14392-00-00 VALVE, NEEDLE should eliminate the fuel drainage.

Leadster

Jul 19, 2005
Arh ok cheers motodawg, I think what I will do is just take the bike into my local dirtbike store and get a service on it, it will probably cost abit but then I know everything is fine.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
How much gas is leaking out the exhaust port?

While it is possible for the gas in the tank to leak past the float valve into the carb, then into the engine and fill it up having that much gas in the crankcase and/or cylinder would make it impossible to kick over.

What is much more common is to have a bit of unburned oil collecting in the pipe and then leaking out any joint that was less than perfect.

If the float valve in the carburetor is leaking then it would raise the gas level too high and cause an over rich mixture, which could make it hard to start. If you turn the gas on and start right away then it might not have had enough time for a slow leak to overfill the float bowl.

But let's see: you have poor compression, the exhaust isn't right and the float is questionable. Time to do some serious maintenance!

Leadster

Jul 19, 2005
rmc its not pouring out, just a calm leak if you get me.

But as I said, i'll take it to the experts, i'll get them to do a full service, it will cost a small bomb
but then I will know everything is fine and I haven't got to worry about it :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…