Getting back into riding... 18, Which bike??

Aggie_Rider07

Jul 12, 2007
PLEASE HELP ME!! I'm leaning toward either a 250 or a 250f but I can't decide. I think a 450f would be to much for me to handle and I've been on a 125 for awhile. My last bike was a 03 KX125 (3 years ago).

1) your physical size-- 6ft & 140lbs (very lean)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Medium/ not that aggresive.
3) what do you plan to ride- some MX tracks, some freestyle, woods & fields also.
4) Do you have any riding experience? about 4 years of free riding w/ ocassional MX track apperance.
5) Do you think you will race ? possibly in the novice class..
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? will do minor work but can't rebuild an engine.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? always had 2 stroke Kawasaki's but it's time for a change, never rode a 4 stroke big bike before.. I'm leaning to Honda or Yamaha for my new bike..
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? NA
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? around 4K or less. a newer used bike. prolly a 06.
10) Do you live in California? Texas
11) Your age? will turn 18 in a week.
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion?
I would buy another bike for not just one purpose. I would ride at an MX track occasionally, some freestyle, woods, free riding, pretty much anything. I want a fun reliable bike but not to much for me to handle. I guess the only reson I'm considering a 250 2stroke is because that's what all the freestylers use and they have always appealed to me, also I know there would be plenty of power. I'm considering a 250f because it would be more practical for me, & cause I hate to mix gas. Plus 2 strokes seem to be a thing of the past now.

I think I need a 250f, what do yall think?

Thanks,
Nick

Jan 3, 2007
I think a YZ250 would do much better then a 250F for the fact of parts and labour. The 2 stoke is really cheap to rebuild where as the 250F costs alot more to replace. If you think 2 strokes are a thing of the past think again, KTM is always making new engines for there super fast 2 strokes. Plus with a flywheel weight the 2 stroke will have more 4 stroke like power. But it is all up to you but this is just my 2 cents.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I like this response, main reason I still ride 2t's, parts are everywhere and cheap. Plus working on them is a lot easier, been down the big bore 4t path and pulling those motors apart had a tendency to frustrate me at times to levels I never been near before. You can work a 2t out like a 4t for the most part but still wont have the major tq down low which is alright by me. 2T's are fun to ride and will be around for a while, dont care how many people think the 4t's are better. Its all preference but I think you will be fine with a newer 2T 250 with a little work on the bike overall. Plus save you some $$$ overall since your not going for a full race bike.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
hollyb2000 said:
at any mx track you will see more 4 stroke than 2 strokes now days ,what does that tell you
Does it mean your a better rider or something?

Aggie_Rider07

Jul 12, 2007
Well if I keep the bike relativley stock (say a 06 CRF250R) will I still have to be rebuilding the engine? Cause I won't be able to do that myself & neither do I want to be having to pay to hav it done. But I think a 250 2-stroke would be two much bike for me, and if I start racing I would way rather be in the 125 class. So...

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
rebuilding an engine is a part of riding. Depending on how much you ride and how you maintain your bike will be the deciding factor on how ofter it needs rebuilt down the road

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
rebuilding an engine is a part of riding. Depending on how much you ride and how you maintain your bike will be the deciding factor on how ofter it needs rebuilt down the road

not really. i used to have an early 80's xr100 that was still on the stock motor with no maintenance but valve service, and ran great.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Aggie_Rider07 said:
I'm considering a 250f because it would be more practical for me, & cause I hate to mix gas. Plus 2 strokes seem to be a thing of the past now.

I think I need a 250f, what do yall think?

Thanks,
Nick
If you hate mixing gas, just wait until you start doing valve adjustments!

The only reason you see more 4Ts at the track than 2Ts is the way the AMA set the class rules up. And they're even going back and tweaking those now, allowing 144cc 2Ts in the small bike class.

If you want a bike that will be fun and meet your needs -- including price -- then it's hard to beat a YZ250 or CR250.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
flyingfuzzball said:
yea but those xr's run forever.
Those are not racing 4 strokes and you won't see those on an MX track.

Jul 9, 2007
Traditional four strokes have a duribility advantage on two strokes simply because they dont rev as high but now that the new racing 4 strokes in most cases rev HIGHER then a two stroke with more moving parts = high maintence. An XR 80, or any other XR, doesnt rev nearly as high as an CRF250 does so thats why they last way longer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…