Getting harder to start......

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
My bike is requiring more kicks to get it fired up (cold) each time I ride. It still starts fine hot, and performance seems OK.

It's a 03 200 thats jetted well. I put DFII reeds set to low tension last fall. Could this be the end of there life span? Would they make it harder to start?

It does seem to smoke a tiny bit more than the days of old....... perhaps new rings?

Any ideas are appriciated. Thanks.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
an old teqnique is to pull the plug, shoot a little wd-40 in the cylinder, and then try and fire it, if that helps, then your rings are prolly goin out.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Only symptoms are these:

*Noticably harder to start when cold, regardless of choke use.

*Slightly more smoke

*It wants to keep running when I hit the kill switch.

*More spooge

It seems to still run good, but a compression loss would be so slow developing, I'd probably never notice it.
Again, I'm fairly confident I've got my jetting in good order, so I'm thinking it's another source.

Thanks for the help.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Keep running' meaning it's like your switch is inoperative?

Maybe it is. That would be a separate issue from hard to start....probably.

Besides the ring check, try turning your AS in 1/2 or so on a choke-cold start.

Reeds are generally considered to be an annual replacement thing. The lower tension reeds fare worse (wear more) than the newer higher tension reeds MT is using. Particularly if your reed stops are also set to low tension.

Some things just seem to be. My bike is considerably harder to start (choke/cold) with only a change in needle from DEK to EEK. No reason for that to be. Same straight diameter, same length.

I don't recall if you have an RB carb. If you have the AS set to the #2 sweet spot, the bike is harder to start cold. Turning the AS in 1/2 for a cold start, then back to where it works for actual riding is something I do quite a bit. Depends on if I want to kick it 4-5 times to start or 1-2 times.

It is getting colder....(Aussies/NZs need not reply ;) )

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
By "keep running", I mean, as I press the kill switch it starts to die. If I don't hold it in long enough (longer than used to be required) it refires. Make sense?

It's my guess that it could used ring and reeds. I'm just trying to make it to winter and not miss any riding now.

No RB carb.

Thanks again.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep. Makes sense. Mine does the same thing sometimes. Either because it is pretty hot (good for vaporizing fuel) or idling a bit higher than 'usual'. Also when it's setup a bit on the lean side. That part of it could be relevant to the hard starting part. Also more likely if you're stoichiometrically correct (which in this case means the air screw is out too far).

Yeah. I could have just said that, but I just wanted to throw some kinda big word in there! ;)

Do try the AS in 1/2 on a choke/cold start. Put it back to where it has the best off idle response under load.

Granted, low compression and reeds can both make the bike hard to start.

Last edited:

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
yep, reeds. My bike (Boysen RAD valve) got harder and harder to start, to the point where it didn't even want to start hot! I had nightmares thinking of all the possible things that could be wrong (top of the list was crank seals). Someone suggested reeds, so I checked mine (over a year old, nearly two). They had a slight gap which was still there after I flipped them over, so I put in a new set. Started second kick...

Cheers,
Andrew

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…