getting into mx?

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
First of all, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum topic, but it looked like the best fit. Anyway, here is my situation: I am very interested in trying a little motocross. My current bike is a '96 XR 250 and I LOVE that bike the tight, twisty, "hilly" trails I ride around my house. I went to Unadilla last weekend since it is near where I live. Seeing that made me really want to try a little track riding. I know that my bike can not handle that kind of riding so I am wondering what you guys think I should do. Do I get rid of my bike and put all my eggs in one basket to buy a decent 125? The main problem is that I have precisely NO experience with motocross and I really like riding my XR through the woods on those tight trails where I wouldn't really be able to ride with a mx'er. Do you guys think it is worth it to go through all the trouble of switching bikes to try something I might or might not like or be good at??? Also, I live between Oneonta and Binghamton, New York....does anybody know of any tracks that I would be able to ride on if I did get a mx'er? Thanks for your help! *Winter Rules*

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
You can ride your XR on a MX track. It may be a little down on power and suspension, but you can still get a taste of what MX is about.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I went to Unadilla too and the only thing that I could think about was how I wanted to do some serious mx on my CR when I got home.
I would suggest that you try and keep your XR and still be able to buy a 125 mx bike. 125's aren't nearly as fun as XR's offroad in the tight twisty stuff, you have to use the clutch ALOT with the 125's. If you dont have enough money to get a decent 125 and need to get rid of your 250 to do this. Maybe try and borrow a friends 125 and take it to a mx track or take you 250 to one and see if you'd rather do mx than offroad. You could still do offroad with a 125 but its harder than with a XR. Just IMO.
Jim

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
A YZ250F would be a great bike for both purposes. It'd lean a bit towards the track but would be even better than your XR in the woods - Just my opinion.

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
My bike is a works 125, pro circuit blueprinted, pro suspension, the works. But my dad (the guy who paid for it all) trail rides, and he wanted to use that bike on the trail so he added some teeth, got an alternate pair of bars (shorter ones) got another pipe ( a PC 304 I believe) and did some other things to ride it in the woods. So now we have the best of both worlds. Its great, i guess, but i hate the trails. Haha. If you get a 125 MX bike and want to trail ride you're gonna have to spend a good bit of time and some money.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…