tinbanger

Apr 2, 2008
Hi all, i have a small problem. When taking one of the 25 foot table top jumps at the local track my rear end jumps off to the right side and has almost caused me to wreck a couple of times. what is causing this, it does not happen every time, so i assume that it is a technique issue. now the jump i am hitting is just after a right hand corner, do i need to be more in line with the jump? there is just enough space to get straight, and it usually feels like i do, but? if i am or not......

I ride a 2006 Husaberg 450fe(i know its not a MX'er, i'm buying a yz 250 soon!) i weigh 175lbs 5'10"

I'm not a novice to riding, but to Motocross, only been hitting the track for the past year, but have 10 years on trails and racing enduros, so i know how to handle the bike....while its on the ground.

I do not usually have any issues with to high or to low in the front,i know how to correct, and do regularly. its just the sideways action that has me a little miffed?!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Maybe try moving to the rear of the bike out of the corner. Hows the traction coming up to and off of the face of the jump. We ride an indoor track the gets pretty slick in the turns and up the jumps. If I break the back tire loose it normally wants to go to the outside line. There's been more than a couple times we've been a little sideways in the air because of it. I would make sure it's hooking up and you're trackin straight. :cool:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The most common reasons for getting kicked sideways are:
  • Still turning going up the face of the jump
  • Hitting a rut in the face of the jump, but not following it. This is especially bad if the front tire goes in one rut and the back tire in another.
  • Hitting a rock or other irregularity just before takeoff. How smooth/consistent is the jump face?
  • Losing traction (and the rear end) on the jump face, as __JOE__ mentioned
  • putting more weight on one peg than the other, effectively pushing the bike to the other side. Since it is kicking to the inside (not as common a outside) are you getting your inside foot back on the peg and equally weighted before takeoff?
  • Rear tire misaligned (not as likely and would cause a more consistent behavior).
No matter whatthe cause, squeezing the bike with your legs all of the way up the jump and into the air will help keep it straighter. If something kicks the bike a little sideways on takeoff, it is only moving 230 lbs or so. If you are squeezing the bike, it has to move your weight, too, and will be less likely to do so.

tinbanger

Apr 2, 2008
mkelly04--- the suspension is mostly stock, aside from a few turns of the screw adjustment there has been nothing done to it.

i think what High Lord Gomer said about not being completely lined up is the problem, its a sweeping right hander, not one that lends it's self to being squared off, i try and get more square with the jump and squeeze with my legs.

thanks guys!!!

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
I'm not sure if you have this resolved yet, but take a look at the rear tire as mentioned above. If it is even slightly misaligned it will kick you to one side or the other.
Another way to check could be to pull a wheelie and see if it pulls real hard to one side or the other.

Top Bottom