Getting my bike sold

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I'm having some trouble getting my bike sold. I've had it on the TX Cross Country site, Texas Enduro site, Texas offroad network, and DRN for about 2 months and have only gotten 2 emails about it, and both turned up nothing. I feel that it is competitively priced, but I can't afford to go lower anyhow or I won't be able to afford the next bike. Is there any other free stuff out there that I should try? Or do I need to just bite the $50 bullet and put it in cycle trader till it sells?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i am waiting for desert season before i put mine in the trader. everyone wants new 450f's these days and its really hard to sell 250 2strokes:( all the rebates and financing offers dont help either.

my friend had his 2001kx250 in the trader for 4 weeks at a reasonable price and no one even called, i hope i dont have to get too desperate and start dropping the price to far down.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Try SouthernDirtBike.com

It's where quite a few of the local MX crowd hangs and it's also where I found the 250F.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Ebay......my CR was listed on the sites you mentioned and then some, wasted money on the Dal Morning News (got one call and the guy wanted me to give it to him), then spent like $40 to list on ebay and it went for the buy it now price I set in less than 2 days. Deal went super smooth and the buyer was very pleased. I don't know if I would ever buy a bike on ebay but I'd sure sell one.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Eric - I sold my 125 on cycletrader in one week. The ebay thing doesn't sound like a bad idea either though, but cycletrader worked for me.

-jeffd

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
yeah the cycle trader "run it until it sells" option is pretty good as long as you can stand to reduce the price until it sells. bike selling has been a pretty dicey business for the last yr or so. newer bikes are even harder to sell. i guess its the economy or something.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
PLEASE don't get hacked off but here's what I see that might be hurting ya'.
-Big arse dent in the pipe.
-Worn frame paint.
-Unspecified time on top end.

From a perspective buyer standpoint it may look like you slapped on new plastic and graphics to a possibly tired bike. People are naturally pessimistic when buying anything used. Some newspaper and masking tape plus a can of frame paint might really spruce it up on the cheap. Run the bike a little bit and hit the dent with some ice or even dry ice it and it might pop out but it does look creased so it might need professions help. If the top end is pretty fresh state it, if it's not it might really help ya' sell if if you freshen it up.

It looks like a pretty clean bike that just has what it basically normal wear. Going up against the cheap money for a new bike though seems to be hurting a lot of good priced used bikes. That and the move to 4 strokes but theres not much you can do to your bike about that :confused:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
The reason I didn't want to paint the frame was because it is simple normal wear and tear. Me and my dad went back and forth on this and I think that it makes it appear as though we were trying to cover up that the bike had been used. Making it look brand new would make a used bike (especially one that is 7 years old) seem a little fishy to me. The pipe, well I didn't want to buy a new one and they guys around here didn't guarantee they could fix it so I just left it alone. It actually doesn't look nearly as bad in real life.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999

Well...It will actually make it look like you're trying to clean up an obviously used bike and wanting to sell it. If you do a little paint work, it'll show that you actually care about the bike and it's appearance. You can sell it the way it looks now but be prepared to drop the price some more. Even if the paint job doesn't come out perfect, I'd be more likely to buy a bike from a guy who showed some interest in taking care of his bike. Eric Gorr's book has a pretty good chapter all about buying and selling used bikes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…