Mar 16, 2007
ok so im ganna get some new boots. Anybody have an opinion on which would be best. I basically want the boot that offers the most protection. and im going all out on the $$. I either want some aplinestar tech 10 or 8's. some fox f3's. some gearne sg10 or some sidi crossfires. which would you guys reccomend?

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
A-stars tech 6,7,8 or 10s will offer great protection, but the soles suck.

If you go a-stars and plan on riding a lot you might want to buy 2 pairs so you have something to wear while you have the other pair repaired.

A-stars soles will need to be replaced once or twice a season if you ride hard.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
to be honest with the choices you gave I would choose whichever fit your feet the best. All great choices and since everyones feet are a bit different go with what fits you best. My son loves his Gaerne SG10s and when I tried them on I hated the fit- I ended up with Alpinestar tech 8s since they felt the best to me

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I had some tech 8's that were great. This last time, I bought some Gaerne SG10 Carbon Pro's, these are VERY comfortable, no break in required, easy to use the brake and shifter and easy to put on. Great boots!

A friend swears by the SIDI's. Like mentioned above, you may want to go see what feels best to you :cool:

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i have tried the a-stars tech 8 and the gaerne sg-10 riding. i have tried all of them on. i like the gaernes the best by far. They are very comfortable and great on the foot levers.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i just picked up a pair of the a -stars tech 8's put them on and went riding right away. Great boot so far comfortable a little bit of a pain putting on with the booties, right foot is little tight right now but it will break in. I wanted the tech 7's really liked the fit but was a litle wary of the ski type boot design
but the were out of my size
only thing i dont like about them(tech-8's) is the top calf area is bigger than my old boots(must be for people who wear shin guards?)

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I've had both Tech 8's and Sidi's. The 8's were more comfortable but I have big feets which equates to even bigger boots with the 8's because of the bootie. I wear a 12 in tennis shoes and a 13 in Tech 8's. My only beef with those boots was I was getting hung up under the controls because of my foot and boot size. The Sidi's are solid boots and have a much slimmer profile but offer as much if not more protection than the 8's. The soles on the Sidi SRS is much stiffer than the 8's so if you are a jumper they are better in that regard. They were a little more uncomfortable than the 8's and they do have a ton of screws for adjusting the boots and those need to be watched for backing out. I keep an OK eye on them and have managed to lose 2 screws.

Like that old dude said.... any of those 3 are great boots. Pick the one that's most comfortable and you won't go wrong.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
The Gaerne SG-10 is my boot of choice! I made the switch from Tech 8's a few years back and couldn't be happier. Most of our riding buddies switched to SG-10's from Tech 8's and other high-end boots too. The SG-10's are very comfortable (gel padded inside, not a bootie to bunch up and get nasty), have awesome support (especially in the ankle, don't fold over like a Tech 8), have a durable sole, and the buckle system is super smooth. Plus they cost less than the Tech 10's (and usually Tech 8's too, depending on where you are shopping).

Here are some other boot threads for more info and opinions:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=136781

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=143913

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=139462

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=142226

Mar 16, 2007
ive always liked the look of the gearne. looks like ill be going sg10. i like the sidis but form what you guys are saying in this thread and others its looks like they are a hassle.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom