getting new brake rotors

YZ Teacher

Mar 13, 2007
It depends on a lot. Are they dragging? Were you good about upkeep? Do you ride in a lot of mud? Sand? What pads did you use? How hard are you on the brakes? Do you race?
You could answer all of these... or check the thickness in the manual.

cjbentley

Feb 20, 2010
Alright because I ride in a lot of mud and sand and usually pretty rough terrain. I ride on motocross tracks every once in a while and the brake rotors are getting kind of old they have been on for a couple years and I have gone through I think two pairs of brake pads. One was renthal and there other was EBC. I will have to check the manual but if you have a ballpark time period for me that maybe you have changed your in the past that would help.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
I never really had a time limit only if they got bent, scored or worn out of service. if you look closely at the rotor it should have a minimum thickness stamped on it , if not refer to your manual. You maybe able to resurface them if they are not in bad shape. In fact I don't think I ever changed a rotor because it wore out, since I use softer /cheap pads. I would rather change the pads often than the rotor. Going to metallic or ceramic pads will last longer at rotor life expense

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've never had to change a bike rotor for wear. Bent beyond repair yes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…