atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
i leave off for the night with a question i have been trying to face, I have just recently been diagnosed with a physical deformity, my eyes are mishapen and i now need glasses in order to see. WIthout them i can not see 20 feet down the trail, does anyone have a technique for riding with glasses? do they fit better under certain brands model/ goggles? I do not want to get contacts as im sure i would just end up poking myself in the eye everytime i needed to attend to them. thanks

RogerRabbit

Mar 6, 2008
There are special models for people with glasses. The difference is that they have more space between the face and the lense. I bought Scott 87 OTG's to have the opportunity to ride with glasses and they work fine for me.

I would be surprised if other manufacturers wouldn't also make such models.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
$$

that second one sounds expensive. hows hte other ones? probably not much more then regular ehh. If only i had hte money, prescription goggles would be cool

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I use the Scott 87's and they work fine for larger size frames on glasses. My son wears glasses too but his are those funky small frame things that fit fine in a regular set of goggles. Try goggles at you local shop to see if any fit.

jdon88

Apr 23, 2004
I got some oversize goggles to fit over my glasses but the problem I have is my helmet is a little tight so the part of the glasses that go back to your ears feels very uncomfortable. I ride without glasses but my eyes are getting worse with age. I read somewhere, maybe here, about someone that took an older pair of glasses, removed the lenses and somehow attached them to the goggles. I'll have to search for it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The biggest problem with glasses is that they fog up when is real humid or wet out unless you are moving at speed. After stopping and getting started again I am usual blind for a bit until the air flow clears up the fogging. I've tried all kinds of crap on them to no avail! :(

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
i hate that

i hate it when they fog up, for awhile i was not using goggles just my glasses but it scratches the hell out of my glasses. im getting sick off having to go realll slow through trails because i can't see. ill try the scotts there sat. maybe

RogerRabbit

Mar 6, 2008
The OTG's were a bit more expensive than the regular ones but not overly expensive. I spray them (and the glasses) with some anti fog stuff and it works for half a day or so.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I tried on about two dozen brands of OTG goggles a few years ago. The ones that felt the best were the Scott 87 and Thor (which is an exact copy of the scott 87). I've never had any problems with fogging.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I used to wear glasses all the time. When I turned 40 I had the LASIK proceedure, and now I am FREE! Well, sort of. I still need to wear reading glasses, but I can do sports and drive and socialize without the stupid glasses.

As RM_Guy said, the biggest problem with wearing goggles over the glasses is fogging. The goggles have a small tendency to fog up, but the glasses underneath are even worse. The worst situation is when both the goggles and the glasses have fogged up.

Back when I wore glasses I also did a lot of scuba diving. There are not any dive masks that you can wear over glasses. There were masks that had lenses available in the standard diopter corrections but that didn't work for me due to my astigmatism. Then I found that I could get a special set of lenses made that could be simply glued into the mask. Problem solved!

Note that the lenses were special, they were not just an old pair of glasses glued into the mask. Unlike regular lenses, which are curved on both side, the special lenses were flat on one side and had all the correction on the other. The flat surface glued down tight to the mask glass and had no air gap.

I would certainly try a pair of standard goggles that are made to fit over glasses. If it works for you then there isn't any problem. If the fogging or fit causes you problems then I would save up for a pair of those Pro-Vue goggles. Or ask your eye doctor.

Rod

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
atkkid250 said:
I do not want to get contacts as im sure i would just end up poking myself in the eye everytime i needed to attend to them. thanks
I can understand you concern, but my daughter (12.5 years old) just started wearing contacts. It took her less that a week to learn to put them in and take them out, and she is having no problems attending to them.

I also wear contacts, but usually not when I ride. When I do ride with them in, I keep a bottle of rewetting drops nearby to rid myself of any dust that gets past the goggle.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I've heard positive stuff about Pro Vue. How about 888RXGoggles?........ a "clip to inside of goggle lens" prescription option.
BTW... Although not good in dust, removing the foam from your goggles (not the against-the-face foam) works like a champ to prevent fogging.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
My dad had to buy over the glasses goggles for skiing, but he borrowed my regular goggles (and my bike :whoa: ) for a ride the other day, and he said they fit great over his glasses. They are Thor Hero/Enemy goggles, and Dad says they fit great,even though they are not over glasses goggles. So you might want to check them out. :cool:

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
heyy thanks

thanks, ive gotta get my self over to the shop to try some different ones on. your the man, err i mean the girl.

nor_cal7

Apr 2, 2007
ok i think if you havnt used glasses before you wont need em now i need glasses but i dont use them when i ride because ur egreniline is rushing that ur eyes go strait at least for me but look into perscription googles.

p.s ive tried to use glasses but they get fogged up quick fyi

hope i could help,
mike

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i went with lasik about 6-years ago too - it is great but beware it has some negatives too - or could just be old age creeping up on me... less night vision, need reading glasses, can't eat an entire pizza (oh, may not be related)..

as for contacts and poking yourself in the eye - can't do it - the contact will prevent you from poking your eye. you should give it a try - most eye drs will give you the first trial set of lenses for free (you pay for exam) - they risk little as most people will get the lenses. of course i once thought i had my lenses in and tried to remove them - yes, i poked my self in the eye that time. but then can't account for operator error...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Before lasik surgery, I rode with glasses for many years. Could not stand riding with contacts - they always dried out under goggles, even though I wore them every non-riding day.

If you ride with glasses, large frame goggles work great.

The best trick to prevent fogging is using the Roko Quick Strap http://www.motoworldracing.com/ROKO-goggle-quick-strap.html

You can easily remove the goggles with one hand while riding until the goggles and glasses clear. If you have glasses with shatterproof lenses, your eyes are still protected.

When the fogging problem is the worst, dust is usually not an issue.

Attachments

• roko-06-gogl-QS.jpg
    roko-06-gogl-QS.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 101

allangee

Jun 26, 2007
I wear glasses with my goggles. Fit has never been a problem -- could be I lucked into the right size goggles.

Most of the time, fogging isn't an issue -- hot humid days are the worst.

I've read that you can apply shaving cream to your glasses and/or goggles then keep wiping until you get it all off (don't use water).

I haven't tried yet, but plan to give it a try soon. Maybe I'll only do one half of the goggle and one lens on my glasses for an accurate test. (and bring the shaving cream with me in case it works).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom