Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Former NFL Player Killed in Afghanistan

Email this Story

Apr 23, 12:55 PM (ET)

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN

(AP) Arizona Cardinals Pat Tillman is shown in this 2001 handout photo. Tillman, who walked away from...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - Football player Pat Tillman, who turned down a mulitmillion-dollar contract with the Arizona Cardinals to join the Army, was killed in Afghanistan, officials said Friday.

Tillman, who served with the Army Rangers, was 27.

Although the military had not officially confirmed his death, the White House put out a statement of sympathy that praised Tillman as "an inspiration both on an off the football field."

Former Cardinals head coach Dave McGinnis said he felt both overwhelming sorrow and tremendous pride in Tillman, who "represented all that was good in sports."

"Pat knew his purpose in life," McGinnis said. "He proudly walked away from a career in football to a greater calling."

Several of Tillman's friends have said the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks influenced his decision to enlist.

Lt. Col. Matt Beevers, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Kabul, confirmed that a U.S. soldier was killed Thursday evening, but would not say whether it was Tillman.

He said the soldier died after a firefight with anti-coalition militia forces about 25 miles southwest of a U.S. military base at Khost, which has been the scene of frequent attacks.

Two other U.S. soldiers on the combat patrol were injured, and an Afghan soldier fighting alongside the Americans was killed.

Arizona Sen. John McCain noted that Tillman declined to speak publicly about his decision to put his National Football League career on hold.

"He viewed his decision as no more patriotic than that of his less fortunate, less renowned countrymen who loved our country enough to volunteer to defend her in a time of peril," McCain, a Republican, said in a statement.

U.S. officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said a formal announcement was expected later in the day. Spokesmen at the Pentagon and U.S. Army declined comment.

Tillman played four seasons with the Cardinals before enlisting in the Army in May 2002. The safety turned down a three-year, $3.6 million deal from Arizona.

He made the decision after returning from his honeymoon with his wife, Marie.

Tillman's brother, Kevin, a former minor league baseball prospect in the Cleveland Indians' organization, also joined the Rangers and served in the Middle East. They committed to three-year stints in the Army.

Some 110 U.S. soldiers have died - 39 of them in combat - during Operation Enduring Freedom, which began in Afghanistan in late 2001.

Tillman's agent, Frank Bauer, has called him a deep and clear thinker who has never valued material things.

In 2001, Tillman turned down a $9 million, five-year offer sheet from the Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams out of loyalty to the Cardinals, and by joining the Army, he passed on millions more from the team.

Tillman turned aside interview requests after joining the Army. In December, during a trip home, he made a surprise visit to his Cardinal teammates.

"For all the respect and love that all of us have for Pat Tillman and his brother and Marie, for what they did and the sacrifices they made ... believe me, if you have a chance to sit down and talk with them, that respect and that love and admiration increase tenfold," McGinnis said at the time.

It was not immediately clear when he went to Afghanistan.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Tillman was distinguished by his intelligence and appetite for rugged play. As an undersized linebacker at Arizona State, he was the Pac-10's defensive player of the year in 1997.

He set a franchise record with 224 tackles in 2000 and warmed up for last year's training camp by competing in a 70.2-mile triathlon in June.

Tillman carried a 3.84 grade point average through college and graduated with high honors in 3 1/2 academic years with a degree in marketing.

"You don't find guys that have that combination of being as bright and as tough as him," Phil Snow, who coached Tillman as Arizona State's defensive coordinator, said in 2002. "This guy could go live in a foxhole for a year by himself with no food."

Tillman and his brother Kevin last year won the Arthur Ashe Courage award at the 11th annual ESPY Awards.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'm sitting here thinking "What a sad ending to such an inspiring life", but in the back of my mind I get the feeling he thinks otherwise. The world needs more people like him. :thumb:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah I read about that. I kinda went the other way, I served in the Army and Army Reserve to help pay for shcool. I dont know if I would have turned down a lucritive job much less in Pro sports to serve, I give the man Mucho Props.
Rangers Lead the Way! Howaah!

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Mr. Tillman is a genuine hero (his brother too). There seems to be few people of that integrity, but there are many serving over in that area.

I agree Okie. I had all the intentions, just never followed thru.

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
God bless his family.

Just a few stats here, but this helps put things in perspective: It has been estimated that over 100 million people have died in the last 100 years at the hands of thier own Governments (like what has happened in Iraq). Meanwhile, less then 30 million have died in all the Wars combined during the same time period.

I believe Pat Tillman knew exactly what he was fighting for. We cant thank him enough for doing his best, and giving the ultimate sacrifice.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
May God provide comfort for the loved ones that remain. Pat Tillman is a hero of the first order.

Our society is often sustained by the heroic, and sometimes tragic, efforts of the few, the willing and the brave.

We owe so much to so few.

It would well serve every American to consider the sacrifice of Pat and the other soldiers BEFORE opening their mouths.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way because that's not my intention, I have the utmost respect for him.

Every man & woman fighting in our armed services is a hero in my book. The fact Pat Tillman lost his life is tragic but let’s be honest, can anyone name another soldier that we’ve lost excluding Pat? I for one can’t. I’m ashamed, but at the same time thankful, that I personally don’t know anyone to make that sacrifice. I think that so much media attention directed toward Pat isn’t fair to the other families that have felt the personal loss of this war. Just because their son or daughter wasn’t walking away from a career such as Pat’s doesn’t mean their sacrifice wasn’t just as high. I thank every man & woman fighting for us and I thank God (yes the G is capitalized) for giving them the strength and courage to do so.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Jeff, at first I was thinking along those lines. But when you consider that Tillman gave up the life of luxury and fame to lay it all on the line, it gives a poignant edge to the sacrifice of a real American Hero.

Many join the military primarily as a career choice because it's a good steady paycheck for a high school graduate with few alternative prospects. But for a young 20-something guy to give up 7-8 years of NFL stardom and a very early cushy retirement for an $18,000 a year job that lead to his death....

I think that guy needs special recognition. Men of that caliber are few and far between. The world should take note of him. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

B

biglou

I think Jeff has a point. However, I believe it's the media that are focused on him because of his previous
high(er) profile. I can guarantee the day he stepped off the bus at boot camp, it didn't mean jack squat what he did before that point in time. I am also quite sure that it did not matter one bit to his fellow soldiers what he did in his previous life. What mattered was that he answered the call and stood there beside them, unflinching, shoulder to shoulder. Ever single American that stands up and takes the challenge is a hero in my book. :thumb:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
gwcrim said:
Jeff, at first I was thinking along those lines. But when you consider that Tillman gave up the life of luxury and fame to lay it all on the line, it gives a poignant edge to the sacrifice of a real American Hero.
I did consider that point but I think Lou helped it into perspective for me.
biglou said:
I think Jeff has a point. However, I believe it's the media that are focused on him because of his previous high(er) profile. I can guarantee the day he stepped off the bus at boot camp, it didn't mean jack squat what he did before that point in time. I am also quite sure that it did not matter one bit to his fellow soldiers what he did in his previous life. What mattered was that he answered the call and stood there beside them, unflinching, shoulder to shoulder.....................
I think because I look at him the way I imagine another soldier and/or his family would look at him is why I have the thoughts I do.

Thanks for the link
Combat767 said:
If anyone is interested below is a link to all the casualties in Iraq so far. You can read the names, and see the faces of the fallen, but not forgotten.
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties/

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Let's not go too far with this. No one is making less of ANYONE that gave it all. It IS however unual to find a guy who walks away from a position such as his and literally millions of dollars to serve his country. The great Ali wimped and called it religion, Elvis had no choice.

Caring for all the others shouldn't take away from what Tillman did.

As always there are hero's we'll never hear of and there are those labled hero's that shouldn't be. This happens to be a case where they got it right when they labeled someone.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
I have served this country for 15 years, 4 active and 11 National Guard. I have nothing but total respect for Tillman and every other person in uniform. Unlike past conflicts, all of the services today are VOLUNTARY. For someone to give up millions of dollars to serve should be an inspiration to everyone else. There are BIG problems in this world that have been left to run their coarse. And eventually, the time comes when things must be met head on - this means through the military. This also means that people die! Look around yourself, around your neighborhood and your country. EVERYTHING that you see is due to the SACRIFICES that have been made by EVERY person in uniform.

To all of my Fallen Comrades - Hoo ah!!! God has a special place for you, the ultimate R&R in heaven.

To all still serving - Drive on Brothers and Sisters! Hoo ah!

INFANTRY - Queen of Battle

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'll just repeat myself and leave it at that. :thumb:
Jeff Gilbert said:
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way because that's not my intention, I have the utmost respect for him.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Jeff and Lou, my thoughts reflect your statements. Couldn't have said it better.

CHIP

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2000
God Bless and God Speed to Tillman and all of those that have lost their lives defending our freedom and our way of life. Tillman and all the others are truly our modern day heros.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
They must have taken it down, but MSNBC had a poll online asking if folks would walk away from a lucrative carrer to join the military under these circumstances. Last I saw, 65% said no. That alone puts people like Tillman in the minority and I think that's really the point here. His life was no important than anyone else who gave theirs.

But in this day of making Jessica Lynch a (rich) "hero".... simply for being captured and rescued? No doubt she went thru hell that no one should have to...but, that doesn't meet my definition of the word hero. That word gets thrown around way too easily these days.

Last edited:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
it's strange, when i first enlisted if you were not airborne you were not ####, then as i got more rank and maturaty i started to have a newfound respect for any one who would put on the uniform and take all the responsibilities that came with it. Anyone in service makes many sacrifices, no matter what station, rank or unit. Now when i see soldiers, marines, airmen, saloirs, airmen etc, i swell with pride.When i see those young troops serving in a hostile environement i damn near well up with so much pride , respect and gratitude. i see in them the finest of our ideals and a steeled, sober wilingness to shoulder what ever burden and face what ever terror and do so willingly. it's incredible and beyond my ability to express. Tillman, tho no greater or less a model of what i have previously described, it made me look at things in retrospect. At first i thought him somewhat at a higher level for giving up more wealth and fame then most can imagine, but then i thought about all the troops i've known personally and each to a man sacrificed much, all they had they put in the pot to serve. I guess what i'm trying to convey is Tillman is a stand out as he was a stand out in life, but whenever anyone joins up, they give up all they have. that's why i have so much pride and gratitude for them, they all gave up everything, willingly, so that i might be safer to go about my meanial life unbothered and safe. I just went to the Iraq casualty list and saw some KIA's from some of my old units so i might be rambling a bit, but damn, i do love those service members , all. btw don't forget these .http://http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/STRIKE_Casualties.html

Last edited:

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
I'm sitting here thinking "What a sad ending to such an inspiring life", but in the back of my mind I get the feeling he thinks otherwise. :thumb:

I think Rich nailed it.

Top Bottom