PippBike

May 26, 2009
hey guys so i decided i wanna buy a used 2 stroke (CR or YZ) to see if i can get back into riding again. Found a nice few ad's around, and the bikes look good for the price just wondering what to look for when i go look at a bike. I searched the forum but couldn't find any topics on this myself
Thanks

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
Your first overall impression says alot. Is the bike clean, the garage, other bikes, etc. Ask about the history, maintenance schedule, and hours on the piston. These are some of the things I look for. Im sure there is more.

-inspect the frame for cracks or tweaking
-inspect the sprockets and chain for wear
-make sure the fork seals are not leaking
-make sure the air filter is clean
-check the life of the tires
-Inspect all cables and controls
-make sure the bike runs through ALL the gears
-check the compression
-check the spark plug
-inspect the radiator for leaks, big bends, cracks etc.
-check the brake pads and rotors for excessive wear

Like I said, Im sure there is more but these are the big ones. If one needs tires or has a worn chain use it as ammo to negotiate the price. Hope this helps.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
02stampede said:
-make sure the fork seals are not leaking

This. Very expensive to replace, and it just seemed to be the most common defect on used bikes. At least 1 out of 3 bikes I've looked at when shopping had leaky fork seals. :whoa:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
inotocracy said:
This. Very expensive to replace, and it just seemed to be the most common defect on used bikes. At least 1 out of 3 bikes I've looked at when shopping had leaky fork seals. :whoa:

Fork seals have an impossible task of sealing against a sliding (vs rotating) surface and that surface is subjected to physical damage and tons of dirt. It is no wonder that they leak..

What confuses me is why you consider it to be "very expensive" to replace, the seals are around $25 per fork. The labor on my bike wasn't that hard. It took me a while to figure out how to get the forks apart but I think I could do the whole job in about an hour now that I know how.

Rod

maxkiks77

Sep 23, 2002
compression. most important, since that wil ltell you related problems (if compression is bad, they most likely didnt take care of it very well, and hence, all otehr aspects prolly poor too)

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Fork seals have an impossible task of sealing against a sliding (vs rotating) surface and that surface is subjected to physical damage and tons of dirt. It is no wonder that they leak..

What confuses me is why you consider it to be "very expensive" to replace, the seals are around $25 per fork. The labor on my bike wasn't that hard. It took me a while to figure out how to get the forks apart but I think I could do the whole job in about an hour now that I know how.

Rod

If you can do it yourself ;)

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
Another thing check the drain plug underneath of the engine i had a buddy that got a 85 cr250 that had a welded drain plug so he has to drill a hole and hope that's where the drain plug hole is if not the motor will be junk basically and not changing gear saver every other ride could lead to a big junk of your wallet.

kc0rtg

May 19, 2006
Bring a stand with you, try moving the front and back wheel from side to side to see if the bearings need replaced.

Ask how often they change the oil, clean the air filter, do the top-end, etc to see if they can tell you something reasonable or if they stumble and don't have a good answer because they don't maintain it well.

Top Bottom