corndog

Dec 30, 2003
Im emigrating to New Zealand this year, im taking my Ducati 900ss and my girlfriend with me (im NZer by birth) but I am really stuck on what to do with my Suzy 1999 RMX 250. I luuurve that bike but a, dont think I can get parts in NZ for RMX's, b, Dont think I can justify the expense of shipping, the bike is worth £1250 here in the UK and would cost £650 to ship and register in NZ, but the bike does everything I can ask from a dirtbike. What should I do?

My riding is split 50/50 at the moment between MotoX practice tracks and long trail rides (thats why I love the RMX, it is competent and comfortable enough for both) If I was to buy another bike in NZ it would be a KDX200, GasGas 200 (mate has one, hard seat!)or a KTM equivilant. I would have NZ$10K budget

All advice greatfully recieved,

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Corndog, whereabouts are you immigrating to? If you email me your snail mail address ([email protected]), I'll send you out a couple of Kiwi magazines (Kiwi Rider & Motorcycle Trader). Why wouldn't you be able to get parts for the RMX? If you think we don't get them here, you're wrong. We get a lot of bikes that no one else does & all the usual ones.

KDX's new are $7995 or with a PC pipe & muffler $8500 (hope that's the right prices). GG200 are about $11,300 (I'm relying on my dodgy memory here), KTM's would be about the same. I'll find definite prices for you, if you like (but all the info will be in the magazines).

You don't need a licence or registration for trailrides/MX, only if you're taking it on adventure rides. A competition licence from MNZ is $80 a year, runs from June-June. Club memberships are around $20-$30 a year, depending on what club. You don't need to be a member for a lot of the rides, but some clubs do run rides where you need to be a club member (any MNZ-affiliated club will do), but offer a weekend membership (these are big events & huge fun).

If I can help further, yell out & I'll try. There is another member here who immigrated to NZ last year or year before, so maybe he can help, too. I'd have to track down his nick - he posts in the Euro forum.
Michelle

bleedngreen

Jan 9, 2004
I have a similar predicament on my hands; my family and I are relocating to the Barcelona area in August and I"d like to take my dual-sported KDX 220 with me. Anyone have any info on taking a foreign bike into Spain?
Gracias, Dave

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Hi Corndog (Hi Michelle)- I moved out from the UK a year ago and brought my Husky 125 with me (only because my employer paid for relocation fees) I just chucked it in the container with all our household stuff. The freight guys made up a wooden frame to stop it rolling around. Didn't even have to empty the tank. I haven't looked into registering it here yet - 'cos like Michelle says - you don't need to. If you're living round Auckland there's a huge offroad bike park in Woodhill forest where you can ride 7 days a week and there's great trail loops laid out regularly at weekends and some weeknights - no reg required. Then there's cross country and enduro on top of that. Off road heaven. There's plenty of RMX's around. Could be an opportunity to buy a new or good used bike though - $10K would get you plenty. No shortage GG, Husky and KTM dealers in NZ. Good luck, you'll love it.

bleedngreen

Jan 9, 2004
Good looking out, Ted. I thought I saw that company in an article but couldn't remember what magazine it was in. Will ring 'em up ASAP.

What part of England are you from; my wife's out of Bristol (and rides a '96 KX 100)!!

Cheeers, Dave

corndog

Dec 30, 2003
Cheer for the advice on the trail parks and RMX's Arjay. I am thinking about taking the RMX over now, If I want a KDX in the future I will sell what I have got and buy one. Michelle, I sent you an e-mail, I dont know if you recieved it.

1kdx220man

Oct 6, 2003
plenty of 2nd hand gas gas, ktm200's over here for under 10k, and kdx's are under that brand new, but to my knowledge you'd be struggling to get one road legal on our road (it would be expensive) rmx250's very common over here. Where in N.Z you moving to??

corndog

Dec 30, 2003
NZ here I come

I plan to go somewhere between Auckland and Taupo. My girlfriend is thinking the same thing but also includes Christchurch Queenstown area. We have some money to bring over from the house we have here (lots of hard work!) so we hope to buy a house outright and chill out a little (our morgtgage over here is nearly $2500NZ a month, too much!) So I aim to just ride and relax. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom