Gold Valve Setup

Svock

~SPONSOR~
Nov 28, 2001
Hi, I installed Race Tech Gold Valves in the forks of my 1996 KDX 200. I ordered these from Freddette Racing Products. Apparently they set them up for my weight and riding style/preference etc. At the time I weighed 130 lbs. Now I weigh a little bit over 150 lbs :eek: . What shims do I need to add/subtract etc to correct the setup for my new weight?

Thank You!

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
What came with those GVs -- a 20# box of chocolates ??? I'd be inclined to install them as Jeff set them up for the lighter weight -- Just because his shim stack is considerably stiffer than the one recommended by Race Tech's print out. You can always go back in and add a .1 x 17 shim if they're too soft. LETS START A GOLD VALVE THREAD [like the RB Carb thread] IMHO, the single most effective mod anyone could make to a KDX is a suspension upgrade / revalve.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Do the gold valves make an extreme difference or do they just help out? I ask cause I went riding with some buddies and they kicked my ass. We were riding in central oregon where it's all desert and some of the trails are like mile long whoop sections. It kicked my ass and the guys on the KTM's just flew over them. In the woods where I usually ride ther is no prob keeping up with anyone but out in the wide open suspension really comes into play. By the way, I have already changed out the springs.

DCMan

Jun 2, 2001
I just installed Gold Valves and new spings in my 01 220. Took it for the first ride yesterday. I LOVE IT!!! It's sooooo nice to take a double and not bottom right out. It's great in the whoops now too. It's like I'm getting used to a new bike! I say they are worth it!

I agree on the GOLD VALVE thread!!
JMHO!

nodogma

Jun 12, 2002
I too am in the process of gold valving my 98 kdx 220.

IMHO this kdx came with the most confused suspension I have ever experienced, harsh on rocks and wollows in the whoops and the front end was sprung pretty soft too, then again I'm a lard ass....

BTW - this bike is new to me, I got it to ride at Kennedy Meadows here in sunny so cal, it works so well on those tight trails!
Most of the year I ride desert, but right now it's too damn hot for that. Kennedy Meadows is above 7000 feet and it's beautiful this time of year. Any suggestions on jetting?

Thanks,
Nels (aka: Motorguy)
http://www.geocities.com/motorguysplace

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
You'll probably need a "special tool" to get the forks apart unless you have an air impact driver. The threads on the base valve assembly are quite tight and I had to "chase" them with a 6 x 1.0 die after filing off the staking. RT specifies a torque of 25 lbs/in [2lbs/ft] for the new nut. Before "chasing", it took over twice that just to screw on the new GV nut.

DCMan

Jun 2, 2001
I needed no special tools. I used a ground down old broomstick to get the forks apart. Crude I know, but very effective. It holds the innards well while loosening the base valves.
I didn't have any real problems with the base valve threads. I did run the old nut on & off a couple of times to clean the threads. But everything seemed to go smooth.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…