Good bike for a 15 year old kid????

ETompk

May 4, 2009
Hi guys im new to dirt bikes and was wondering your opinion on choosing a bike. Thanks in advance for the help.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'10 170lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
not very yet, but plan to be in the future

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with trails, woods, but i still want a motocross style bike

4) Do you have any riding experience?
rode a few of my friend's bikes and quads. ridden a yz125, 2 different yz80s, my friend's warrior (quad)

5) Do you think you will race ?
no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes i will do my own work
no, i'll take it to my local shop for maintinence
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
2 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
no, but i could find one

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
maybe up to $2500 my dad's kinda cheap so it might not be accurate

10) Do you live in California?
No, New Jersey

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i am a kid that wants to have fun riding.

Last edited:

ETompk

May 4, 2009
RM85rider123 said:
A 125 2 stroke would be perfect for you.
ok, i've been told that, do you know a specific model that would be good for me??

May 10, 2007
any of the major 5.

if you want a 4T then an XR200/250 would also be fine too though if you are going to be riding any track then go with the 125 as the XR's are trailbikes. of course also with the XR's whatever you pay for it you could probably get mostly back when you sell it as since they have very little maintenance they have a very good resell value. with your price range though it would be much easier to get a 125.

ETompk

May 4, 2009
yeah, i dont really like the look of the xr200s though, i was thinking like kx125 or something similar, i put $1000 or less but theres no way in hell thats happening.

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Bullisht. You can get an older kx125 all day for $1000 or less. I got my 97 for $800. I paid $700 for my 93. I almost bought another 93 to take the engine for $600. They can be had. Hawk craigslist and be ready to do some minor repairs. I had to replace all the suspension berings in my 97 but still was well under $1000 said and done!

ETompk

May 4, 2009
wow, thanks. im getting a bike for my birthday and my dad's not paying alot. i really need a job :nener:

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
A 97 would be perfect for you. The suspension is a little stiff for my liking weighing in @ 125 but id take a guess it would be about right for you. But for sure just be patient and hawk craigslist. I see good deals pop up every few days, be patient dont jump on the first beater you see. When you do find a good deal then jump on it cause if you dont someone else will. With the economy nowadays peeps are giving bikes away to get the bills payed so right now is a buyers market for sure!

ETompk

May 4, 2009
yeah, i got it. i already found a couple of good deals. i found an 02' kx125 for 1200. i'm not sure about it but it seems like a damn good deal to me since it does have a few upgrades i believe.

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Well a few things since it says your not going to do your own work. I suggest doing a compression test to make sure the topend is good. Take a look at things like the chain and sprokets, tires. Look at the forks and rear shock for any evidence of leaking, and lift the rear of the bike in the air shake it side to side to check for play and bounce the rear end and make sure there is no clunking. Minus the tires and sprokets all these things can get expensive fast. Just make sure your good to go or are prepared to foot the bill for repairs.

May 10, 2007
just curious but why do you want a MX style bike for riding in fields?

that 125 is going to need to have the top end replaced, oil changed often, and the airfilter cleaned often. also if you are riding trails the XR will be quite a bit easier to ride as it has more torque. the 125 is a tough bike to ride in the woods as it really only has power in the powerband.

of course if they dont look cool then you cant ride it. i mean i always look at my bike when i ride ya know?

ETompk

May 4, 2009
well i'm riding in trails to get to my riding spot, which is an open spot in the woods with jumps and a small track. i've been finding so many good deals on bikes too, i don't know which i'm gonna pick anymore

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…