good bike?

racer921

Oct 20, 2010
i found a 1999 yz400f for 1350 and i'm thinking about getting it but i don't know much about them, did the 400's have any problems?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I rode a 99 YZ400 on trails for about 1 1/2 years. As far as the "new generation" engines, those were one of the best made, in my opinion. They have plenty of power and are fairly low maintenance if you take care of them. They can be a little tricky to start, but they can be dialed in if you take the time. I could go on, but whether it is a good bike for you depends on many factors. It is no mistake that I bought a 2001 WR426 after I sold the YZ...same engine design.

racer921

Oct 20, 2010
thanks alot. i think i'm going to get it after i take a look at it of course but if it doesn't work out i also found a 01 yz426 and a 450.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
It normally comes down to how much you are willing to spend. Ride the bike long enough to heat it up to operating temperature. Then, kill it and start it a few times. If the valves are within tolerance, it should start easily when hot. Both my YZ and WR are easy to start hot. It shouldnt make any unusual pinging noises either. There is a whole list of other things you should look for like rotor wear, peg wear, and most importantly, frame and engine cover wear which will give you an idea of the hours.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How many hours on the top and bottom end? I've seen a couple that have put inside pieces through the outside pieces in the blink of an eye.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Patman said:
How many hours on the top and bottom end? I've seen a couple that have put inside pieces through the outside pieces in the blink of an eye.

It's always best to keep the inside bits, on the inside...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes it is but when something like a modern racing 4 stroke is thought to have the same life span as a XR it always ends that way.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Patman said:
Yes it is but when something like a modern racing 4 stroke is thought to have the same life span as a XR it always ends that way.

Yes, and a sad ending it is..

racer921

Oct 20, 2010
Patman said:

the motor and stuff is pretty fresh. atleast thats what he says

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I never claimed there is any fool proof method to knowing the hours on a used 4 stroke. At the same time, Ive never had a 4 stroke blow up on me...call it luck or call it knowing what to look for, following maintenance intervals, and not revving the hell out of it between every gear. I also dont own a 250F...and never will

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…