good deal for kdx220..but the stock piston grenading?

riatvriderwd

Jul 16, 2005
good deal for kdx220..but the stock piston grenading?please help

i wanted a kdx 200..but missed my oppurtunity due to money..so now i found a 2002 kdx220..$2000 maybe a little lower..ive been searching and searching and didnt find the exact answer that will please me as of yet..but all this talk about the stock piston grenading is scaring me because after buying this bike with all the money i have..i wont have enough left to fix it it if fails..so theres nothing done to the bike..not that i know of yet anyway..so if there is no mods or maybe just reeds..would the piston likely still fail? and if i should change it is the wiseco the best piston..how much does it cost and how much would it be around for a local bike shop to put it in? thanks guys

Last edited:

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
I have a 1997 220 I mainly use on the street and have over 4000 miles on it. All I know is it’s a lot cheaper to fix before it blows.

kanrandy

Apr 26, 2003
:nod: My 2001 '220 is still going strong after 2 years on the local enduro circuit. Plan to replace piston and rings this winter but I run synthetic oil at 32:1 and I know it's well lubricated. My buddy on the circuit has the same story to tell with his '220. JMO

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
My '03 220 still has the stock piston. I have the normal intake /exhaust mods, but nothing to the engine. I just trail ride pretty gently most of the time with an occasional burst, so Im not too worried. If you like to keep the throttle pinned most of the time, I would definitely change the piston asap. Otherwise, be very gentle on the stock piston since their reliability is in question.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I waited 2 years also. When I replaced it the stocker had a hair line crack in it. It was just a matter of time. Don't pass up a good deal on a bike because of this. After the piston replacement, the 220 is my pick anyway.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
I have been riding my 220 for 2 years now. When I started reading the same thing i pulled my bike down and took it a look. It was exceelent shape. I put it back together and have been running the stew out of it. Unfortunalty when something is stated on here everyone jumps on the band wagon and it becomes law. Everyone one is very helpful on here but research actual problems, not someone just saying, "yea" the 220 pistons can blow up.

spivv39

Mar 16, 2004
Change the Piston!

I cannot stress changing the stock piston enough! I bought a 3 year old 220 that had 5000 miles on the clock on the original piston, I tore it down shortly after purchase to give it a check through for peace of mind and found it to be in good shape. As i had the original spares kit i fitted the spare piston and rings etc, thinking that would take care of the top end for a good while. 10 monthes later (and 1800 miles of mixed riding)whilst on a long distance trial the bottom of the piston fell off whilst the engine was idling, destroying the barrel lining. I had to remove the engine from the frame to clean out all the aluminium debris, (but then decided to feshen up the bottom end anyway) I also had to get the barrel replated as well. So i could of easily had a bill from a dealer for approx £500 ($900) to fix all this if i was not mechanically minded. As it happened it cost me around £300 ($540) in parts to fix it.
So based on my experience if you have a KDX220, change the piston to a forged Wiseco one as soon as your budget will allow. I wish I had!!!!!!

riatvriderwd

Jul 16, 2005
I want to go pick up this 220 this week..its my first dirtbike so i wont be riding it hard. Im gonna be pretty much out of money after buying this and im not gonna have the money for a little while and i wanna learn how to ride this thing. Do you think riding it easy will likely blow the piston or do u think that i can get enough time on it to learn how to ride then bring it in when i get the money? Does the piston blow at any time or is when you are really punishing it? thanks guys

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
riatvriderwd said:
I want to go pick up this 220 this week..its my first dirtbike so i wont be riding it hard. Im gonna be pretty much out of money after buying this and im not gonna have the money for a little while and i wanna learn how to ride this thing. Do you think riding it easy will likely blow the piston or do u think that i can get enough time on it to learn how to ride then bring it in when i get the money? Does the piston blow at any time or is when you are really punishing it? thanks guys
I does not matter, ride the thing and have fun

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom