Got my new bike

Ark_220

Apr 1, 2003
I bought me a new KDX220 today, I am going to tear it down and grease all the linkage, ect. I have always had race bikes mostly but after riding for 20 years, I am going back to a enduro again.
I wish they had a 19" rear tire on them, because of the tire selection is greater. I was looking at putting Michelins on it, FMF pipe and silencer and putting renthal bars and sprokets.
Time to tear in...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Ark_220
I
I wish they had a 19" rear tire on them, because of the tire selection is greater. I was looking at putting Michelins on it, FMF pipe and silencer and putting renthal bars and sprokets.
Time to tear in...

Yeah, those pinch flats are more fun aren't they? The 18 inch is the preferred woods tire/rim for stiffer sidewalls. Michelin makes lots of real nice S-M-H 12's to fix you up.

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Don't buy Renthal sprockets unless you want to save a few ounces (if that.) Just get the cheap steel sprockets, I garuntee they will last at least 4 times as long, and 1/4 the price! But hey if you're into racing and want so save a quarter pound or so go for it....or ya could just go on a diet for a day or two. ;)

Also, they use an 18" rim for a reason, so you can run taller sidewalls and prevent pinch flats in the trails/dez. 19" rims are nice for MX (doesn't feel quite as squishy in the corners) but they are no good for woods, rocks, roots, etc. Michelin doesn't make starcross tires for 18" rims (or at least I have never seen any) but their other tires are pretty damn good, M12 front and S12 rear is a killer combo. Or Dunlop D756's are great...but tires is a whole other can of worms.

Congrats on the new ride! ;)

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Congrats on the new bike! I would get the Gnarly REV pipe for it. See Jeff Fredette's website for mods info.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Ark-220 , No they dont' make it. I did however try the front 21", didn't care for it and went back to Dunlop 756 front and kept Michelin S-12 rear - great set up for my area. This setup should work for you very well.

Congrats' on your new bike!

Ark_220

Apr 1, 2003
You were talking bout the FMF pipe right, the woods or desert?

Yes, I think I am going to like it ok. I am going to get the Michelins S-12's I guess front and back.

Dave Murphy

Apr 4, 2003

I am about to do the same thing. I have never had a KDX and am wondering whether I should opt for a 200 or a 220. I will basically be putting around with my teenaged son, but there are some decent hills where we riude anbd I need to make sure I can climb them.

He will be on my old XR 250.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Dave - I would opt for the 220 but either one would be fine, they will carry you anywhere you have the capability to ride. I've owned 3 of them in the last 16 years, they wear like a pair of Levis'!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…