irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
I was pursuing getting a 4-stroke, since that is what I used to ride back when I was younger... 10 years ago or so. So ive been looking at XR's 250-400 or so...

Some forum members are reccomending a kdx220 for me, but im really weary of the idea, since... well i hear they need alot more in terms of maintenance, and im not too keen on that idea. Especially the needing to rebuild top ends, since im mechanically retarded...

I found a kdx220 though out here asking $1600

its a 2001 bought new in 2003, header has a small dent, top end hasnt been rebuilt.... new chain, sprokets, rear tire..
changed air filter once a month,
changed oil 2 times a year...

said it floods once in awhile

oh, i also weigh 230-240, and im 5'11

what do you guys think?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/673927399.html

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Two-stroke maintenance is no more difficult than 4 stroke. The only difference is the top-end changes.(at least when comparing to an xr) This is not very difficult, and can be an interesting learning experience for you. The kdx top ends generally last much longer than an mx bike. The other difference is carburation. 2 strokes are much more finiky about jetting. If you don't feel comfortable wrenching on your own bike, I would probly stick to the xr.

irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
not that im not willing to learn but as it stands i know nothing about anything mechanical... that and i have slight tremors so it would really depend on how fine my motor skills need to be to do any of the wrenching.

fruitfarmer7

May 6, 2008
What may tip the scales for you, I recently picked up a 220 myself, I'm a little shorter and about your weight. Upon searching this forum, I discovered that the 220 evidently is subject to piston failure? Seems skirt breaks off and you could end up trashing cylinder and crankcases as well. I haven't had a problem, but have ordered the weisco piston and will be replacing the stock unit upon arrival. Additionally with the kips system this isn't as straight forward a procedure as it used to be, with an aircooled engine, no exhaust valve. One other thing, several have suggested that if you go over 150 then you need heavier fork springs. You did buy the bike right if its as good a shape as you suggest. You may want to check out the aircooled 4 strokes that both Honda and Yamaha are making. Good luck

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
On the topic of 220's and piston issues - stock pistons were known for that. The 200's dont have that issue. Keep in mind - a 220 is known for great outstanding bottom end power - perfect for woods - but very little on top. A 200 has very decent bottom end, and does better on top.

Size wise - my son at age 12 , 130 ish lbs and 5'7" went to a KDX200 in 2005. His prior bike was a TTR125. We backed off preload, raised forks in the clamps a tad - he was fine until his confidence increased and we set it up normally. Now, at age 15, 175 lbs, size 13 foot - the kid is a tick under 6' - we have gone to bar risers and a tall seat and the KDX is working perfectly for him!

Engine longevity - We bought his KDX used, with at least 1 full season of use on the last top end. (or so the prior owner said - subsequently I think that it had much more use than that on it). We ride quite a bit each year as we have trails on our own property, plus literally at the end of our driveway is a ORV trail leading into over 140 miles of trail accessable from here (we rode 80 miles yesterday in fact). Anyhow - 3 full season of use (estimated at around 3000 miles perhaps more, plus what the prior owner had on it?), we finally did a top end. The bike is running like a champ (not that it felt bad before though).

Powerwise - a buddy of mine, who weighs in at oh 270lbs - he might have dropped some recently - has a KTM 300 and a 96 KDX200. At times, he has a hard time choosing which bike he prefers! He can whip many woods riders I know when he is on the KDX. Look for a DRN user 2big4aKDX on here - that is him.

Back on that 220 piston topic - do some searches here - i dont think it is EVERY 220 has that issue - but many do replace the piston as a preventive measure. But many I am sure, have never worried about it, never new there was any issue - and have no issue.

Top Bottom