gray stuff between cases

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i am just getting around to replacing the top end on my 95 200 i have had for about 6 months. thing runs great but the guy i bought it from said he had not done a top end on it since he had had it. (about 3 years)

anyway, when i took the cylinder off and took a look around i noticed a gray sealant where the cases meet. does this mean the cases have been split at some point or did they come like this from the factory? i don't know if i need to try to clean it out or just leave it there. it doesn't appear to be harming anything.

i tell you, i am really impressed with this thing. it appears to be in great shape - no problems with the cylinder and very light carbonization on the kips. rings and piston look great too. after at least 4 years with no new top. wow!!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The gray stuff was used at the factory to ensure the cases were sealed, no gasket between the case halves. The same material will be used if the cases are ever split. Don't worry about removing it, it’s not hurting anything.

David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…