Grease Fittings on Rear assembly (no pun intended)?

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
Last summer I tore apart the rear section of my motorcycle that attach to the shock including the swing arm and wish bone, and greased the bearings. According to the Kawasaki dealer the bearings alone will run you $200 plus if not greased on a yearly bases. Well, it has been about a year so I will be tearing it apart again. While I'm at it, Why couldn't I put in grease fitting, being careful to place them in locations that wouldn't interfer with shock movement? Is the metal parts thick enough to be drilled and taped? Just a thought!

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
My friend did it to his 88 Cr250. He just drilled some holes in both arms of the swing arm, making sure there is room to clear. He then added gresse zerts! Prest-o!!!! i want to do mine now. hehe Im gonna find out a little more about it.

Yamablue

Apr 23, 2002
Assuming the bearings are roller bearings, then you gotta be careful as to how deep you drill the hole.
Grease fittings are a good idea, but there has got to be a reason why kawi. didn't put them in. It's a trail bike, not a mx bike, and we don't alsways tear it down every day!

Yeah, something to think about.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Great tutorial,Tantrum.
I'm curious how receptive y'all would be if after this procedure you had a very small, lightweight device that would automatically inject grease into the re-worked swingarm? And suppose this device fit neatly into the airbox and could be set to administer the grease at a rate you choose? Also, what if it could offer greasing of mulitiple points with the same device? (can be turned on and off at will, as well)
I have this device if you are interested. E-mail me.

Top Bottom