brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
Please give me all your favorite methods for keeping a grip on a bar.

I am looking for a method that keeps them in place ....as compared to coming off when I don't want them to....

I am sure there are some good methods out there !

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use automotive weatherstrip adhesive (3M). I have never had a grip come off, even when I get off in water.

dat dude

Nov 11, 2002
Easiest way to install grips...use some sort of adhesive and compressed air. Apply adhesive, put the grip onto the end of the bar, apply air between grip and bar, the grip should slide right over the bar for a tight fit without having to wrestle it on. Hope this helps!! (Don't forget to use safety wire in two places once the grip is installed)

fbonneville

Mar 19, 2003
Last set installed I used the electrical tape method.

Stick tape around bar, bend tape over and come back around exposing sticky side out. Spray Contact Cleaner on tape, immediately slide grips over tape. Let sit for a few.

No safety wires or anything else needed. Grips hold really tight.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
No glue/adhesive, just 3 safety wires twisted tight on each grip (most all grips have 3 safety wire grooves and an opening to tuck in the twisted up end). Never had one come off on our two bikes over the past 6 years.

We avoid glue because if you rip up a grip or bars and need to change out the grip in a hurry.... glue sucks.

derekk87

May 29, 2002
I just shoot some brake cleaner in the grip and shake it up and then dump it and immediately slide it on the bars. Then use 3 peices of safety wire.

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
These are great! Thanks!

Over the years I have tried all at one time or another.

I bought this bike used, it had new grips ,they were tight for a year of riding.
The first wet ride (water got under the grip) they let go.

I'll likely try the glue this time.

BTW my old time fav is friction tape (old time electricians) w/solvent then shove the grip on.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
WD40. Like lube when you first spray it on but like glue when it dries. Survived many rides in the rain with no slippage. And its the easiest way to take grips on and off without a mess on the bars or cutting up the grips.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Glue is an unecessary hassle. Get some good grips with 3-4 safety wire grooves, get a pair of safety wire pliers, and be done with it. Easy-on / easy-off. No old grip material/glue to scrap off.

Menace

Jul 31, 2003
where do i get safety wire? are there any methods for installing the wire? ho do i conceal the "knot" of were i tie the wire so i don't feel it?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
1) Any decent bike shop

2) Regular pliers, or pliers designed specifically for twisting the wire (purchased at same bike shop)

3) Snip short (~3/16) and fold over into grip groove

.... do a search for more info and advice....

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
My vote is for the electrical "friction tape". I use safety wire also, just because the pliers are so much fun, but the friction tape alone is great. Before I got my safety wire pliers, I only ran the friction tape...I never even had the end of a grip start to twist.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom