Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I just put one on my YZ this spring. I do mostly trails and woods riding. Seat time is about 60%.

I really like the grip. That's what it's for, right? Great for holding on when trying to relax your hands a bit and super in hill climbing to keep you from sliding back. I like the feel of it when doing billy goat typoe stuff, you can really tell the difference in how you can use body english to control the bike. I am extremely happy I put the gripper on, instead of another vinyl super slider.

The draw back is that if you are prone to severe monkey butt, these things will shred your butt. I also noticed that after a day of playing around doing a lot of tight stuff, the inner thighs get a little tore up too. My solution, after the advice given here on a thread I posted "Of Monkey Butt, Gripper Seats and Prevention" (I think that's what I titled it) was to experiment with different types of ointment, topical creams, talcum and special riding shorts under my riding pants. I finally ended up with the Fox Comp shorts, (I left the hip and tail pads out). Never, ever, ever wear bikini or thong underwear!! :eek: :) (Unless you like self inflicted atomic wedgies) :scream: :moon:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
My Ceet cover comes under one of those, 'How did I ever get along without it?' headings.

Whether it's up or down, the gripper seat is a plus. Something to consider...a gripper seat doing its job may make the rider tend to squeeze less with the knees. That will end up as a minus in the control area.

Don't relax TOO much!

Monkey butt? Oh yeah. I rode with a (spendy!) pair of bike shorts for over a year. Found it better to ride without them...in the end ;)

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
Well , let me tell you about gripper seats. They grip well and they rip well, rip your butt that is. Be careful the first several rides. It took me about 8 or 10 rides to get used to mine. Now I like it, at first I was not too sure.
When I replaced mine I took the old cover off,leave the old cover on if its in good shape. Just put the new cover on top of it. And riding shorts try Moose Sahara, I like mine.

BiKeMoNKeY

Oct 11, 2000
I rode a gripper seat for a while and I went thru pants and skin like it was going outta style. I rode a buds bike one afternoon who had a Barry Allen Design - B.A.D. seat and loved it. It was like a compromise between the grip and ripper/slip n slide seats. I can't accurately describe the surface well here, but it was like a rubberized mesh or something. Ended up taking the grip n rip seat cover off and selling it to a neighbor, thank GOD! Still using riding pants about a year and a half old, I can ride all day long without the cursed Monkey Butt.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
I have one that the sides is the nylon type of material and the top is a rubber gripper. It has actually been really nice. A lot of trails that I use to slide off the back of stock seat on the XR600, I can actually get traction not worry about sliding off when my feet are not on the pegs. Granted this is usually in the steepest, rutted trail around.

It does take a ride or two to get use to the increased chaffe of your legs. Just be sure to wear long boxers under the pants are like spandex to reduce that.

lightsts

Jul 8, 2002
Don't like them. We ride Hare Scrambles and Enduros and when you start to get tired it makes it difficult to slide up on tank for corners. Have to lift yourself to move around, then I get lazy and make more mistakes because of bad seat position.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom