Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Well, I initially thought the truck survived the hail, but no... 3-4 dings on the hood, several on the roof. First time I've ever had damage from hail :( . In the thick of it, I thought the north side windows of my house were going to break! Golfball size stuff. Gotta love OK storms.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I got it this weekend too. We were racing Lake Whitney MX when the rains came. Golf ball size hail but as far as I know everything survived.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Okiewan said:
Gotta love OK storms.

I think you can say this for all of the country this year! Thunder showers with hail, tornadoes, flash flooding for the past 6 weeks here. Luckily no hail damage for me. Sorry about the dings.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Sorry to hear that. Everytime the news predicts bad weather, the first half of Dad's F-350 goes in the garage, and I go to the local bank or carwash. Worst part about the hood getting beat up is you can see it when you're driving.Sounds like we'll be getting some more tonight.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
well, the dings are really small, but they will drive me nuts. Anyone ever removed 'em? Can you just pop them out?

Oh and usually, the front of my truck goes into the garage too... last time, Scooter hit the opener and ended-up destroying the door (didn't hurt the truck tho), lol. Didn't have time to get it inside this time :(

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Dings on the truck AND one driving it too. Make them into bullet holes, say you took a trip out here.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
There are places that remove dents without having to repaint. I don't know the details but I see ads all the time.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
... hey I had a few hundred "fixed" a few years ago...."paintless dent removal".... they punch them gently from the inside out; it is meticulous work but it works just fine. No scars after the operation...

After that big hailstorm all of a sudden there were bunches of shops offering to fix the hundreds of cars in my neighborhood..... so many, I had to make an appointment for 5 weeks down the road. Great business! all insurance work!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I warned ya, dude. I saw a dent remover info-mercial last week. I'm sure it'll surface again. :laugh:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Heat then dry ice.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I'm sure it all depends on how skilled the guy is, but from what I've seen PDR(paintless dent repair) works very well.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I got a riding buddy that has a paintless dent removal business. amazing stuff! pretty wicked tools to get behind inner fenders

last week I was in Ark and southern Missouri had SOFTBALL size hail! They were on tornado watch #345 for the year!!!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I tried to warn ya too :ugg:

Those dent removers (Mr. Dent and the like) tend to work well. The guys who use the hammers and bucking bars/sand bags work the best.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I feel your pain gents. I just wish I had a little bigger garage so I could pull my truck inside. It's so warm and sunny here all year round that I have to make sure I crack the windows at night so I avoid getting into a hot vehicle in the morning.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Missouri has had nothing but storms and absolutlely crappy weather the last who knows how many weeks. The car that Aimee just got a month or so ago now has about 100 little dings in it :(

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
As to the "paintless" dent repair. If they're small, they can be done, and I got a buddy who does 'em on a regular basis, and I'm amazed at the results. I also think your insurance will waive the deductible if you use one of those those "Mr. Dent" outfits, kinda like windshield chip repair . . .

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Last year we had a terrible hail storm during a HUGE soccer tourny that our county hosts every year. 100+ teams, tens of thousands of people. Some body shops in this area are still backed up with hail damage repairs...one year later. My inlaws' Expedition had $6300 worth of damage! The paintless dent removal shops just laughed at them and sent them to a body shop for body panel replacement. :yikes:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Park it in the sun all day. After it is good and hot, put a piece of dry ice in the depression. If the dents aren't too bad, they should pop out when the metal contracts.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Okiewan said:
now where to get some dry ice?
I have bought it at Walmart but I'm sure you can get it at a carbonic type store

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Jeff Gilbert said:
I have bought it at Walmart but I'm sure you can get it at a carbonic type store

Yeah, the local carbonic-mart :) . Every town has one :rotfl:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Then take the leftover dry ice and put some water in a 2 liter bottle. Drop some dry ice in, seal the cap and throw! Makes a nice boom. :laugh:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okie, we got heavy winds and small tornados. Some folks in Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Catoosa, and Sapulpa may not have power back on till Saturday. Our old barn has some damage but is still standing:(. I wish it would have blown away. The most publicised damage was to the Williams Building downtown, the outer glass shell gave way 3rd to 7th floor and is bowed out over the street. They have shut the street down and are doing damage assessment and engineering reviews. Very sureal to say the least. Here's the story CLICKY.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom