23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Has anyone else used the small washers for making half-clip adjustments? When installed, there is no longer any play in the needle. Normally, you can spin the needle freely in the slide, and there is just a bit of slop.

The concern would be if there is a chance that the needle hangs up due to being snug in the slide. Carb is Keihin 35 PWK.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i recently did this. an M3 steel washer didn't work out since the needle wobbled and the washer would jam in the clip groove. i tried a nylon washer that worked much better since it was slightly thicker, it wouldnt slip into the clip groove, it has worked well so far. I saw on speedvsion that the new RM's come with the 1/2 clip position kit.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Yes the half clip kit the RM's use includes the washer and a new recessed jet needle hold down/throttle cable connector. Don't use a washer without the recessed jet needle hold down or you may have a throttle stick problem!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I used to think the washer was a good idea for testing-now i think my life is worth more than a needle, save money elsewhere-just go into deadly daves toolbox-he has hundreds of needles-ohh sorry you cant LOL.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Bruce, I'ts important for the jet needle to have some float. From a wear issue to at worst a throttle sticking situtation get the right needle and sleep good at night! ;)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thanks guys, i will dump the washer before i ride on saturday! if it doesn t run right at the top pos. i will go do the 2nd annd have to deal with a tad of spooge.

The thing about jetting settings is that it really bothers me that my settings dont agree with anyone elses, especially when everyone says their YZ is spot on stock, but mine needed quite some leaning out!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Well, the consensus confirms my concerns. Had planned on testing some different tapers & diameters to get the best combination of low end response and mid range hit. I'll test the needles I have, and leave the washer in the toolbox.

Hopefully, half a clip won't make a difference in finding the best profile. Once I find the best combination, I can always order another needle to get it bang on.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
steve, marcus: i chucked the washer, and the bike was slightly off at the top clip, but before at the 2nd clip was a tad rich. if i keep it at the 2nd clip, is there enough overlap witht the pilot and the needle that i can go down another on my pilot and mess with the airscrew? (well i am gonna try it anyway so i guess i will find out anyway!)

my conversion to race gas is coming ever closer!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Bruce you can feel a half clip huh? wow.....Ok i always jet the pilot circuit into itself. I mean I don't feel the needle position effects that low in the throttle range. Now if you alter the needle's straight section it can play in. If you start to go farther out on your air screw than say 2.25 turns, then it's time for the next smaller pilot jet. If you have to in farther than 1 turn out,  it's time for a larger pilot. Generally if you go, say from a 40p to a 35p that equals to aprox. a 1/2 a turn on the air screw for the same mixture. So if your running a 45p and it's clean at 2.5 out then try a 35 for a 1.5 out air screw setting. This will be close but not set in stone, you must test for yourself.  Also I feel the VP C-12 is the best fuel for a 250 so be ready to go a bit leaner across the board. I'll add one more  thing Bruce. you can jet any 2 smoke to be super clean at idle to 1/8 throttle but be forwarned. When jetted that clean the bike will be prone to ping and stumble and run on when shut off. It is normal for a 2 stk to have a bit of richness at 1/8 throttle because this stops all of the above problems........have fun! 

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
steve, sorry, but i think i have mislead you into giving me more credit than i deserve! since i am only a begginer class rider, its hard for me to give back consistant feel to what is happening.

the reason i ask about race gas is my jetting frustration, i constantly seem to be chasing spooge rather too much. ive got it down to just a few drops at the stinger tip, but i am still not happy. to be fair the needle clip didnt make that much difference to this, but when i went down to the last setting i thought i could feel a little pinging out of the corners, this is what i noticed. ive tried everything and after reading a couple of threads, the only conclusion is that the last thing to try is gas.

when i got the cylinder back from eric, i fired the bike up in the pits and everyone looked around since it sounded so crisp, almost like a factory bike. Since then, ive been craving the crisp throttle responce but i have lost some after fidling with the carb. thus, with the race gas i am just trying to cut down of variables....i think a new piston and the v-force will help me here also. its hard enough to shoot a moving target without throwing pump gas into the mix.

thanks for listening to my thinking out aloud!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Hmmmm? so just what has changed since the day it ran so good and have you tried to return to that setting?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
hehehehe...steve, i will drag you down to my level eventually, poor old marcus still needs councelling after trying to suss out my fork valving!

even when the bike ran like a top, it still had some spooge. i conceed, i am ready for a new top end also (not too far gone) so i am sure that will help. other than that, nothing! i just wonder if i have just gotten used to the bike, so it is my familiarity with the power rather than it not running so good?

the stock settings are 50 p 2nd clip and 178m. one of our local guys was running this on the same bike with the same pipe and it was clean as a whistle, however, he was running 50: 50 pump/race gas. I am on 48p 2 clip and 175 main and ive got the spooge, tried differnt oils and ratio but to no avail. all of the other ("local")sources of jetting MXA, FMF are all running 50 p and 2nd clip, MXA suggest 178main and FMF 172 main. I doubt the main is my problem, but i will try it to make sure, especially since i dont have it flat out very often. ive found no instances of the leaner clip setting from anyone!

i have bought the v-force anyway, and will do the piston within the next few rides, i will play around some more and if that doesnt work i will look into the race gas, if only for consistancy and peace of mind when taking it leaner.

thanks

Top Bottom