Handle bar width

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Is there a practice of cutting down the width of your handle bars? To what width are you guys cutting to? Thanks
Lew

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Mine are cut down to about 30 3/4". This is just what feels comfortable to me for woods riding. MXers generally run a little wider. If you are comfortable with yours and they don't hinder riding where you ride, leave 'em alone I would say.;)

jo8243

Aug 11, 2001
A lot of people try to cut the bars to a width of about 30" for woods riding (not counting the bark busters). Mine are a little wider than that (probably around 30.5"). Too wide and you'll hit trees. Too narrow and you lose control. It's sort of a personal thing, but I'd guess any more than 32" with the bark busters and you may have trouble getting through trees on some trails.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'm at 30 or 30.5

plus the bark busters. Be ware that you have perches that need to fit so measure that before cutting too much off. I used a pipe cutter to make real nice straight cuts at the ends of the bars. File down a chanfer on the ends of the bars and you are good to go.

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
I cut a little at a time , I think in all I cut mine 3 times.
But ended up the bars 29 inches, plus bark busters put me at
30 and a quarter..

I also cut about an inch off my stock brake and clutch levers,
so they work easier under my BB's..

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Pro Taper sells a "woods" bar that is 30.5" and has a longer straight section for mounting switches and hand guards, other than that I cut my renthals to 30.5"

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Another option: Tag makes a "Mini Hi" version of their X5 bar that, while intended for minis works great as a woods bar. With bark busters installed, mine have a total width of 30.5 inches. No cutting required.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
BRush said:
Another option: Tag makes a "Mini Hi" version of their X5 bar that, while intended for minis works great as a woods bar. With bark busters installed, mine have a total width of 30.5 inches. No cutting required.

Do you mean the TAG X5 MINI WORKS #2011 width 740 (29.1") height 118 sweep 42
from: http://www.tagmetals.cc/mx/productdetails.php?id=x5bars
I was thinking these might work great for me. I got CR hi bend renthals and they have too much sweep (grips are too close to me) and are not tall enough...

So, which bars do you mean?

Thanks a lot,
Phil

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I ride in the woods exclusively and use the MSR Mini High of T6 aluminum 29.13W x 5.88H x 3.75 pull back. Love them, tough and just room enough for all the guards, etc. The extra height over CR Hi bends is nice too. Ride Safe john

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
John Harris said:
I ride in the woods exclusively and use the MSR Mini High of T6 aluminum 29.13W x 5.88H x 3.75 pull back. Love them, tough and just room enough for all the guards, etc. The extra height over CR Hi bends is nice too. Ride Safe john

How tall are you John?

I am 6' tall and I think these would per perfect.

Phil

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am just 5' 7", but my taller friends also like these bars. Much easier to ride standing up with taller bars. Ride safe John

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
1tontj--I would not want to reflect bad on your experience with the KDX, but if you have not done so already, when you install the new handlebars be sure and turn around the handlebar mouns! The little extra room gained in the cockpit makes a lot of difference to taller riders and for anybody climbing! Ride safe--John

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
John Harris said:
1tontj--I would not want to reflect bad on your experience with the KDX, but if you have not done so already, when you install the new handlebars be sure and turn around the handlebar mouns!

My Steering stabilizer won't fit that way.

Phil

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…