mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Anybody have any "rules of thumb" when it comes to handlebar width?? I know that the 32" bars I have are probably too wide for the woods but when do they become too narrow...is 28" too narrow for control??. Most of what we find up here is woods and fire roads.:moon:

Hugebear

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 18, 2000
It's really a matter of personal preference, (I know that's not what you wanted to hear). You're going to have to try it to see how it feels, of course only take a little off at a time. Naturally the narrower the bars the less leverage you have, and the more it feels like you're constantly about to go into a world class tank slapper. I run the bars on my WR at 30" including handguards and wouldn't be comfortable with anything narrower. Also, if you're going to mount a roll chart holder or anything else that's a consideration too. As far as cutting goes, I've had good luck with a pipe cutter, from Home Depot for $3 or so.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Being rather broad in the shoulders, I'm not comfortable with less than about 30" of bar width. It is a little wide for the woods, but that's what bark busters are for, right?:D Seriously, that extra two inches makes little difference when threading between trees. A root in your path makes it more difficult to not tag a tree than the bar width.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
thanks

Probably the biggest hesaitation or sticking point is knowing when you have trimmed enough off the bars...because it seems to me that you have to go 1 step or 1" too far to know what your magic number is:eek: So I guess I am looking for stories..more likely horror stories:scream: about what is too narrow
By the way 30" sounds like a good compromise between manouveribility in the tight stuff and control in the higher speed sections
To those that have already put in their 2 cents worth, a big THANKS for taking the time to reply.

:cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think all the fellas at Summers Racing (Scott Summers) ride with 28" bars.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
... and Mike Lafferty rides with 32" bars. ;)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Also take in consideration the inner mounts for your bark busters if you use them. Sometimes fixed crossbars get in the way. Other times, like on Pro Tapers, unless you use the enduro bend, you can only take so much off the bars before having to make mods to the bark busters.

I have 30" Pro Taper bars (KX bend), but needed to drill additional holes for the inner mounts in my barkbusters. Not a big deal, just a consideration.

Good Luck,
Scott

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Good Point

Well I do have some handguards on order...they should be in in a couple of weeks. Good thing you mentioned the handguars stuff because I was ready to go cut the bars dowm as soon as I found my pipe cutter.The bars are pro tapers...not sure what style of bend...so I will wait till the handguards get here and since its still -17 deg C out here its probably going to be a while before I get back out...:confused: :confused:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Re: Good Point

Originally posted by mackay
since its still -17 deg C out here its probably going to be a while before I get back out...:confused: :confused:
Ouch...That hurts!!!

It's only getting up to 74 deg F this weekend here.... :p

But in August we'll be dripping and you'll be smiling! ;)

We have a local bonehead who says our "riding season" goes from Oct. thru April. :think The rest of us say just rejet and ride anytime. I'll bet riding in the snow can be fun. Let us know how the bars turn out.

Scott

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Re: Re: Good Point

Originally posted by bscottr
...I'll bet riding in the snow can be fun...
Alot less than you might think:whiner:, The rear end sinks and when you are ready to turn, the front end washes out and then it's your head that sinks:scream:. If you don't have snow, you don't miss anything believe me!;)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
No Hand,
You just described the way I ride in deep sand.:scream: Man, I hope spring comes early for our ridin' buddies up north.;)

Scott

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Snow Ride

Well the two big differences between snow and sand, besides average temps, is that you dont get soaked in sand..and when you get off the beaten down trail you'll sink in up to your waist. But I cant complain too much...the temp has gone up ..its raining and that means that the snow will be gone soon, now if those top end parts would get here we could finish putting the bike back together.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom