Handlebar width?

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Hi guys!My son just moved up to a 125,and I think the bars looks a bit wide for him.What is the"standard" measurement,width of his shoulders,or...?

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
I have a KTM 300. I put Pro Tapers (handlebar) on my bike. I made the width of my bars 29". I think that a lot of guys do it that way.
Little Jeff

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have heard what you do is have your son do a few pushups and then hold is body up with his arms straight. Measure from picky to picky and that will be a good starting point. Buy a few different cheap sets of steel bars and experiment and see what he feels most comfortable with. You should have no problem selling off the slightly used bars at a track or local riding spot. Someone will eventually bend theirs up and need a pair.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Wider bars will stabalize his front end while riding also.;)

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
If he rides tracks only, I would reccommend the stock width. If he rides tight trees a fair amount, than 29 to 30 inches total width is the norm. Any shorter than 29 inches may cause mounting problems with your levers.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks guys!He´s 14,and still short and skinny.I was just wondering,if a narrower bar would let him move around a bit more.Give or take,I guess....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…