ronv200

Mar 28, 2004
I need to change my handlebars on my KDX 200 2000. would like to know which aftermarket bars are good and what bend and height to get

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
It all depends on what you like and your physical attributes. Most get something like the CR-Hi bars. Price, quality etc....take a roll too. You have to be the one who lives with them so check them out somewhere first because once they are mounted...they're yours to keep.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
I got ATV-Hi bars. Yes, thats rights, ATV-Hi. I love them. My dad runs ATV-Hi's on his XR and I ran them on my old TTR.

People think we are crazy, but I ride standing almost all of the time, so they work great for me.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
CR hi bend is very popular. Actually I think there are too many choices out there. Pro taper has a pretty good chart to go by.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I have CR-Hi's and cut them down to 29" and the BarkBusters, Scotts stabilizer and everything fits with them great. I think the brand is Alumilite. Not all CR-Hi's are the same so check them out.
I ran ATV or mini-hi's on my 92 KDX but CR-Hi's work better for the 95. Pre 95 KDX's put the bars in your lap, so you have to do something radical to put them up there.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
I run Tag X5, CR High bend. They work well for me.

kdxman15

Aug 21, 2003
i run tag x5 yz high i think.they are pretty strong taken a beating from crashes and still good.i snapped my old answer allumilites.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am using MSR dominator mini high bars and do not have to cut them down for woods riding. Good bar and inexpensive. Nearly everyone goes to higher bars than std. Get what you like; go to rocky mountain catalog and review specs.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Racer X said:
What other bars work well with a Scotts damper? My KDX is a '98.

Yep, like Rethnal said, go to the scotts site. I bought the Scotts 7/8" Renthal CR-HI bars with the curved crossbar because I wanted a pad over the damper. There are a couple other Scotts bends too, if I remember right.

Best,
Greg

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
gwhII said:
Yep, like Rethnal said, go to the scotts site. I bought the Scotts 7/8" Renthal CR-HI bars with the curved crossbar because I wanted a pad over the damper. There are a couple other Scotts bends too, if I remember right.

Best,
Greg

Thanks Greg. I'll get the same ones then, as I want the pad too. Where did you get the bars? Anyone online who you find gives you the best price & service?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Racer X said:
Thanks Greg. I'll get the same ones then, as I want the pad too. Where did you get the bars? Anyone online who you find gives you the best price & service?

No prob, Racer X. :-)

I went with a company on the Internet: www.absolutecycleperformance.com. The cost was $66.00 versus $69.95 so not much savings over Scotts but since I ordered everything together and the total was over $300, there was free shipping. There was a thread not long ago: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=95575&highlight=scotts where they beat my stabilizer price by $20. I'd look into them also. There's also Scotts Performance if you need the bars quickly.

Best,
Greg

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
gwhII will you post a pic of your setup? reason i ask is i milled my top triple clamp (wording for rethnal) to make the universal mount for the scotts fit under the standard renthal cr-hi bars crossbar. it fits and all but i had a strange noise (vibration only at certain revs) i happened to look down and my scotts was blurry. so i called them up to order the scott bend bars and while i was at it i asked them these holes in the front of this mount look like they should have screws in them but there was no mention of this in the instructions. the guy says yeah you gotta drill and tap your top triple clamp and put screws in. well i did and no more problems. just curious to see your setup it should be totally different than mine. i have posted pics of mine if you cant find them ill post them here. thanks sorry bout the grammar

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Howdy 89kdx200rdr,

No problem... Here's two pics of how mine's set up (after editing the files a few times...whew...). Mine was simpler than yours. I just put in new bushings, used the stock perches and Scotts' barclamp. I did file a little off of the bottom of the top triple clamp for some clearance for the post collar but nothing major. I still did have to notch my pad to clear the stabilizer. What's wrong with your grammar? I read it just fine. :-)

Best,
Greg

Attachments

• stab_fr.jpg
    stab_fr.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 105
  • stab_si.jpg
    stab_si.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 104

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom