Handlebars out of alignment

wannabe1

Feb 20, 2004
I had a little crash (highsided) and knocked my handlebars out of alignment. I tried knocking them back in putting the front tire against a brick wall and slamming bars in opposite direction but it didn't budge If I loosen the steering stem nut can I then re-align the bars? or is there more to it?

libskater

Sep 26, 2003
the forks may be twisted in their mounts a bit. had that happen quite often back in the days that i rode 60's.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Yep, you have to loosen the FORKS then turn the tire against the wall, then lock-tite and retighten.

Phil

wannabe1

Feb 20, 2004
Thanks, that makes sense, and explains why the front fender strangely got out of alignment also.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Maybe you already checked, but the little rubber dampers in the upper clamp get tweaked most of the time and cause the bars to be crooked. I just turn the bars to one stop and either twist them by hand, or "gently" wang on 'em with a 3 pound hammer. Supposedly swapping over to a one-piece handlebar clamp helps keep this from happening.

Mike.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Used to happen to me every ride. Changing to FRP one piece bar clamp AND Scott's high density bar mount cones it was just a bad memory.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Same here. Once in a while I had to completely take the rubber cones out and put them back in. Since I got a different bar mount, it hasn't happened anymore. The tweeked forks is a definite possibility, but it never was my problem. It was always those darn rubber mounts.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I don't know about a '93 but my '92 does not have rubber mounts

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
wibby said:
I don't know about a '93 but my '92 does not have rubber mounts

All the E series KDX's (89-94) have non-adjustable one piece top clamps. So they are functionally solid mounts :-)

If a 89-94 bike has rubber mounts its got an aftermarket tripple clamp.

-Maurice

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…