PAT WS6

Apr 20, 2009
it seriously takes alot of kicks maybe 20 to start my rm 125 when cold it use to fire right up by the fourth i changed plug but what should it be gapped at? anything else? i got good compression

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If the bike used to be an easy starter, you have changed nothing and you have good compression, I would suspect the reeds.

If the reeds are cracked or warped at all, a 2 stroke can be nearly impossible to cold start.

PAT WS6

Apr 20, 2009
whats the reeds? and when i changed the plug i unscrewed the tip off the plug cus thats how it was suppose to go on and thats how the old spark plug was but it doesnt seem to be seat the coil wire right

Mad Norris

May 1, 2009
The cap should fit tight on the plug, and you should feel it clicking over the threads when you attach/remove it. Could the tip from your old plug be stuck in the plug cap? If it is, just screw the new spark plug into it and pull it out.

Mad Norris

May 1, 2009
The lead from the coil can have 2 types of connector, one fits the plug with the cap on, and the other with the cap off. If your lead doesn't fit tightly with the cap off, try it with the cap on.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008

Attachments

• reed_valve_exhaust.jpg
    reed_valve_exhaust.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 8,353

Realest

Mar 20, 2009
i am having a hard start when cold issue with my 1995 200CC two stroke as well. Takes roughly 20 kicks to get going as well. I cleaned the carbs and that help only a little. I had inspected the reed when i have the carb out but didn't see any cracks. I am gonna try replacing them and see if that helps.

Top Bottom