Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
some kid push a broken bike into a track?

Well today that was me. And it was very VERY awkward.

Here is the story (yes I'm bored and broke down :( )

About a week ago me and my cousin went to the slippery rock dunes. I had my bike (1999 YZ250) and my cousin had his utility quad (needed something to ride) We were riding switching back and forth on what we rode for about 6 hours. What a blast. Then the chain adjusters broke on my bike and the chain kept coming loose. So we had to pack it up and go. Within the next week we rode it prob twice for about a total of 20min after we fixed the chain adjusters. Well we took it out to ride again got like 3 kicks and the motor seized up. took the top end off and discovered to see the piston skirt had broke into about 50 pieces... sent out the head to get replated and got a full gasket kit (top and bottom) piston rings air filter and some other things. (about $350) So today i was in the process of taking the motor out of the bike. all tore apart, no plastics, fenders, rads, sub frame. But i cant because i DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT SOCKET to take the swing arm bolt out. poo :bang:

So as some of you may know (SOME!!!) i live right across the street to switchback MX track. So i got my bike down and went for a walk with the bike over to switchback. (Just wheels, frame, handlebars, and bottom end of the motor) Walked across the street and up to the front gate to nobody there... Went a little further to some kids siting there (about 16 or 17) and asked if any of them had tools they gave me d dumbfounded look and kinda shook their heads no... then a guy came over and asked where i came from and that this is the first time he has ever seen a bike come in like this and kinda laughed. Then asked what i needed. Told him i was wondering if someone could possibly lend a hand and loosen the swing arm bolt for me because i don't have a socket that fits and need to get the motor out. He said no and pointed me twords the garage. Pushed my bike even further getting stared at the whole time by random people. The guy in the garage stared at me and nicely helped and took the nut off, and inspected my connecting rod and stuff, telling me what to do when splitting the cases. Nice guy. After that i tried to sneak out so quickly so nobody would look at me. And finished pulling the motor off.

But it was very awkward. Nobody said anything and just kinda looked at me... trying to find someone with tools. And only the one guy was nice... When i was at the dunes everyone talked and stopped over to help if something was wrong and a very very friendly environment. But not here.. everyone kept to themselves, and went along their own business. Maybe i didn't get to the nice section of people willing to help. Lived here for 7 years ( 3 years of having a bike) and that was my first time over there, i didn't like it. :think:

Ok, well my rant is done thanks for reading if you got this far :cool: :)

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Funny story.

So this means you're making progress huh? I really want to get down there next month.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
high lord gomer i have a bunion :whoa:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
It was a fun experience, i got some crazy looks.

High Lord Gomer said:
If you'd have pushed it south of the Mason-Dixon line, you'd probably have had a much better experience.

It was hard enough pushing it across a 2 lane highway. I felt retarded standing there with half a bike. I stood there for 5 min waiting for a gap big enough to run across

_JOE_ said:
Funny story.

So this means you're making progress huh? I really want to get down there next month.

Yes for sure! Parts will be in sometime next week. The cases are getting sent to my buds shop to get split and inspected over and the chunks of piston cleaned out of the crank. And a small crack in the side of the case repaired. The bike will be like new. It WILL be running in 2 weeks. Ill let you know as SOON as i get it running. Me and my cousin want to go up to the dunes again. :ride:

motocrossfreak48 said:
high lord gomer i have a question

You asked me a question on myspace and i cant reply to it because i cant send you a message unless I'm on your friends list, and cant add you to my friends list because i don't know your email address.....So add me, or ask it here.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
some kid push a broken bike into a track?

But not here.. everyone kept to themselves, and went along their own business. Maybe i didn't get to the nice section of people willing to help. Lived here for 7 years ( 3 years of having a bike) and that was my first time over there, i didn't like it. :think:

When I am riding out in an off road area and see someone along the trail in a situation that doesn't look right I will stop and make sure they are all right. It can be a long walk back!

At a track the typical rider isn't far from his rig so as long as they are up and moving they are probably OK. When it comes time to load the bike in the truck people will generally come help and I have even had people offer help and tools to patch my bike back together after a not so successful session on the track.

I would say that the people at the track were rather confused by the condition of your bike. They probably figured that there wasn't anything they could do for you.

Rod

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I hauled a broken bike to dirtweek afew years back. I ran out of time and knowledge to fix it and hoped someone out there could. We got it running long enough to make half a lap on the track. :( So i went to town and bought a new one to haul home with the broken one. :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Treejumper said:
I hauled a broken bike to dirtweek afew years back. I ran out of time and knowledge to fix it and hoped someone out there could. We got it running long enough to make half a lap on the track. :( So i went to town and bought a new one to haul home with the broken one. :)
Yeah, a YZ450F if my memory serves me right!

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I should have my bike togeather sometime this week. YAY finally...

But I'm seriously thinking of selling the bike. Yeah its loads of fun and the motor is like new.. BUT i just spent my whole savings account to be the bike, to be able to ride it (gas and stuff) and now i just spend a little over $500 to rebuild the motor.. And like any bike it will need more work down the road.

It's something that i hate to do but i have have thought threw many times. I'm moving out and starting college in 2 months. And because of recent situations, paying tuition fees and other things to enrolled into college, putting money into my car for it to pass inspection and on top of that spending $2,000 on a dirt bike. All while working a part time job at a burger king making $7.40 an hour isn't goign to work. I spend all the extra money i was saving. (stupid rite? :bang: ) I could REALLY use the extra money from the dirt bike.

And while it is freshly cleaned, and rebuilt i should be able to get more money out of it now than ridden a lot.

_JOE_

I MIGHT make 1 more trip to the dunes just for that last ride for awhile, but I'm still unsure, i will let you know soon however if you still want to go.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, you'll find out more and more as you go through life that it's all about choices. We chose our path. Do what you need to do to end up where you want. Once you get through school and get a good job you can always pick up another bike. Hopefully we'll still have some place to ride them. And just think, by then KTM might even have an injected 2 smoker for you to buy. ;)

Let me know if you're going to go try and break something else on the YZ before you sell it. :nener: I'll try my best to get down there to meet you and join in on your last ride.

Where are you goin' to school? What for?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yeah i know I hate to do it, but i almost have to. And i have all intentions on buying another bike after collage when i get a nice job and everything. I will never lose interest in this sport. And yeah i don't know what my next bike will be. I rode my cousins 07 kx450f and it was AMAZING. A little heavy (Compared to my 250) but it had so much power everywhere. I still love the 2-strokes though.

Once i get it togeather I'm sure ill want to ride it once more, so ill let you know when its togeather. And we can figure out when we want to go to the dunes. :cool:

I am going to PTI (Pittsburgh Technical Institute) It is a tech school. I am going for Mechanical Drafting. I took a year of a drafting class at school, and loved it and excelled in it. And designing stuff has always been an interest to me.

Top Bottom