having many probs on my 125

mainjet_2003

Mar 5, 2003
Hello. I have an 03 yz 125. First off I never could jet it right. I think i needs a leaner pilot but im not sure. For example when im racing and i come down off of a big jump and I nail the throttle there is a hesitation. And then when i land the bike takes a while to rev. I know that I am high enough in the powerband to keep it from bogging. Is this due to to rich of a pilot? The bike has a V Force in it but when i put that in i didnt fell hardly if any power gain or snap. My secong problem with the bike is the fact that it almost seems like it has a lazy gear. 3'rd gear just doesnt rev as tho 4th and 5th or even 2nd and first do. This has pondered me for some time now. Both mxa and dirt rider siad that the tranny has noticible jumps sometimes but this is a constant feeling. Is this a lemon bike or what? I also saw the internals of a 99 yz 125 come up for sale on ebay. I am interseted would it be a bad idea to drop those into my bike to turn it back into a 6 speed? The cases are the same and to my knowledge it would be a fine transaction. What are you solutions to my problems? Thanks,.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I would check your carb float level. Had similar symptoms on my 99 YZ. My dealer checked it - and adjusted it for free. If the carb float level is low, when you land from a jump it will bog. It may also cause other problems if way off. One other thing - Boyesen makes a float bowl that supposedly eliminates this, not sure if it works though, Saw it on the web site. Called Super Bowl I think.

I wouldn't mess with the 6 speed swap from a 99. A popular mod on a 99 was adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket. Not sure if this is the case with an '03. Should be easy to find out.

Good luck

mainjet_2003

Mar 5, 2003
I have added 2 teath on my rear sprocket already. I dont think it is the flowt bowl however because it will do it sometimes going into a corner or shifting. And the heighth seems normal it spills gas out at the slightest lean over. I am really in question about the tranny tho. Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…