kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
My bike has lamson? head porting. I've run half race gas has 92. I cannot afford race gas anymore. Would it be ok to run straight regular?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
probably not, what bike is it, maybe you could use an extra head gasket or even see if someone makes a thicker gasket

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
maybe, maybe not? i suppose there is only one way to find out, but if it goes wrong it might cost more than running the race gas

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Octane booster is always an alternative. However, you must make sure that the octane booster you use actually raises octane. Some products such as 104+ used to contain MMT which was effective in raising octane. 104+ now contains NO MMT and therefore is not nearly as viable an octane booster. Make sure to use a product with known octane boosting properties. My personal opinion is that MMT is among the most effective octane boosters for 2 stroke engines. Toluene can also be used, however as some have mentioned previously, large amounts can tend to reduce throttle response.

I suspect that quality super unleaded may be enough for your needs. One quick, somewhat inaccurate and dirty way to get a handle on octane needs is to do a static compression test on an engine in good shape. If you are getting 200PSI cranking compression, it is a good bet you will need high octane. If your compression is 160PSI or less it is likely that super unleaded is sufficient. I believe that the in between is a grey area and subject to other operating factors.

Chris

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
I had a compression test done and my bike had 180 pounds. I guess that I will try premium unleaded and if it doesn't run good either put in octane booster or mix 50/50 with race gas. :( LOL I guess they didn't like that thread!

tomoad

Jan 27, 2003
i found some vp racing fuel octane booster at autozone. which contains mmt. and it is a 20 oz bottle, how much of this do i add to a tank full 2 gal.. i have an 03 cr 250 and i have the cylinder and head sent off for porting/head work. race fuel is hard to come by where i live.

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
i just went to my local dirt bike dealer and picked up some "trick" octane booster. It comes in a white metal can and you ad three ounces per gallon. Seems to work great!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom