head-shake

KX kid!

Apr 11, 2001
I have a massive head-shake problem on my cr125. any ideas will be of use. good ones would be really helpful

GMX

Jul 23, 2002
KX kid on a cr? PHHHH! ;)

Well I try to absorb as much impact as I can with my legs and arms. I make it act like suspension. If you do that and you still get it, Look into a Scotts steering stableizer. They help with steering and headshake, maybe some other stuff I dunno. And there is no disadvantage using it either.

BBD

Apr 10, 2002
First of all, loosen the bottom pinch bolts at the axle on both sides. put the bike on a center stand so front wheel is off the ground. Spin the wheel and apply the front brake and hold it, Now torque the brake side pinch bolts. This will center the wheel and rotor, Remove bike from center stand and apply front brake again. Put a small screwdriver in the gap on the lower axle clamp, just to spread it a LITTLE. Now apply the front brake and pump the forks up and down a few times. Keep the brake applied and remove the screwdriver and torque the right side pinch bolts. Next, remove the lower triple clamp pinch bolts and put anti-sieze on the threads and put them back into the triple clamp and torque them to 14 ft-lbs. This procedure will let you know that the forks are not binding. Make sure the steering head bearings are not too tight and are greased. The rest depends upon your wt. and clicker settings.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
It also depends on whether your headshake occurs while accelerating or braking. Those are 2 different problems. If after trying to adjust your clickers you still have the problem try raising your forks in the clamps if it's headshaking while accelerating or lowering them if it's while braking.

doc

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
If it's an 01 or 02 CR125, we have good experience with making sure that the steering bearings is not too loose.
Tighten them so the handlebar won't slap from side to side when bike is on a center-stand with frontwheel off ground. :thumb:
How tight you make the steering bearings really makes a difference on how the bike handles, some riders prefer them thighter than others. Try it yourself and experience! ;)

KX kid!

Apr 11, 2001
ok i am going to try and answer everybodys questions. it is a 97 cr125 i weigh 110 lb. the shock spring is stock but the fork springs are a little bit lighter the stock. it occures during acceleration

Mephisto

Jul 1, 2002
i think you have the same problem i have.....i ride a kx250 and only weight 130...i would go alot faster if there wasent stupid head shake problems...you can just tell when its about to happen ...all i suggest is using a higher gear

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
On acceleration I would suspect that the front wheel is deflecting off the bumps. In that condition the front end is light anyways, so if the HS damping is too slow or the springs are too stiff you will get head shake. At 110 lbs, you should probably get a softer shock spring also. I would suggest getting the forks (& shock) revalved for your weight if that is a possibility. In all my years on honda's (10) I've always been able to cure the head shake issue with suspension tuning.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…