digifox

May 25, 2006
Just thinking.

Would wrapping a header and sealing it (silicon header wrap spray)
seal a few minor leaks (that i CAN NOT get to seal with a weld)
Its just sorta a "cheap" temporary fix until i can either buy a new pipe or take this one to get it re-done.

Or possible something a little more durable.
Is there some kinda of like "fiberglass" material and epoxy/resin that will hold up to the temps of the pipe? (i temped my pipe once after ridding and it was around 380F at the expansion chamber)

the only reason im thinking something like fiberglass is if the bike is dropped it might lessen the damage on the pipe it self

BTW i want to wrap the whole pipe to the singer

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why exactly can't you get the leaks to seal with a weld?

How do you expect the majic spray to seal something that melting metal can't? I'm just not seeing how this could even remotely work. If the leak leaks in to the wrap how do you keep the wrap from leaking?

digifox

May 25, 2006
Patman said:
Why exactly can't you get the leaks to seal with a weld?

How do you expect the majic spray to seal something that melting metal can't? I'm just not seeing how this could even remotely work. If the leak leaks in to the wrap how do you keep the wrap from leaking?

Uh, lets see.
I cleaned the surface with Xylol let it dry then welded it with a stick welder and uh-oh it leaks around my welds.

I had Epoxy work for a bit till it got good and hot and started to chip off

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
how much would it cost for you to go to a local welder with the pipe and have them repair it? If I remember right the real header wrap is rather expensive and unless you blew some big holes into the pipe with the arc welder I don't see it being too much different in cost. If a welder is too expensive try a body shop
Even if you had a patch placed over the damage area and welded on for twice as much money as the wrap I would think you would have a better job and would be money better spent.

even if you did the most excellent job applying the wrap what will happen is the wrap will delaminate(?) from the metal and your exhaust leak will only move to where you end the wrap. how long will it take ? who knows?

KX_OUTLAW

Feb 7, 2010
When you weld with a stick welder the carbon and residue from inside the pipe gets in the weld and causes porosity. When I think 2 stroke pipe I think 20 gauge, it can be done but you need to be a damn good stick welder to weld 20 gauge with a stick, then add the gunk inside, theres the problem.

Cheap fix, break out the oxy/acetylene torch and a brazing rod.

About the wrap and spray, have you priced the stuff out yet? It's an expensive waste of money.

I know, I know it's cheaper than replacing the pipe, but look down the road, cheap fix that doesn't work times say three = huge waste of time, frustration. Probably cheaper to replace it. Thats a guaranteed fix.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
KX_OUTLAW said:
Cheap fix, break out the oxy/acetylene torch and a brazing rod.
Yup, an excellent suggestion.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
digifox said:
Uh, lets see.
I cleaned the surface with Xylol let it dry then welded it with a stick welder and uh-oh it leaks around my welds.

I had Epoxy work for a bit till it got good and hot and started to chip off
So uh, aparently you don't know how to make the repair properly. Cleaning one side is basically doing 1/2 the job and you get 1/2 the results. Doing a proper repair is the only way to keep from having to redo it and is generally cheaper in the long run. As suggested getting somebody else to do it might be a better option.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
My mig welder, bottle of acetone, and wire brush never failed me when repairing a pipe. Though not all 3 at the same time :whoa: :yikes: :) .

Take it to a local metal shop, local exhaust shop, anything like that, see if he will take $5-10 to just weld it up real quick. Assuming you do the prep work, they will gladly do it, maybe even for free.

Top Bottom