Headshake???

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to solve a headshake problem without the high cost of a damper? I was riding today and everynow and then the front end also felt like it wanted to wash out from under the bike along with the headshake. I have installed the proper weight front springs and set the oil level to 100 and have the clickers set to 9 clicks out. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Obie:eek:

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
Most riders don't realize it but guess where most head-shake originates? The obvious answer is in your head, but the main cause can usually be found at the other end of your bike... In the rear shock. If the suspension is not balanced, all sort of weird things can happen. If you have too much rear sag, the back of the bike is riding lower (because you let too much weight transfer to the rear wheel) and actually pushes up on the front end and makes it lighter and more vulnerable to head shake. Set your rear sag between 90 mm to 100mm depending on the type of riding you do. Bet that pesky head shake goes away. If you haven't done so, talk to a susp. tuner about proper set up.
Personally, I feel that one of your best hop-ups is a dialed in suspension. Most riders talk about pipes, rad valves, jetting and big bore kits to make their bikes faster but in truth these riders don't use the power a well tuned stock bike has to offer. I'd go for correct suspension set up over any other hop up. (One example is head shake. It tends to cause one to let up on the gas when it happens.)
Hope this helps!!!

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Yea, What he said, set the sag and make sure you have good tires.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Did you drop the forks in the triple clamps for a lower ride height?? This will add the the headshake problem. Try raising the tripleclamps relative to the forks and see if that helps.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Did That and That!!!!!

Already set the sag when I bought the bike 4 months ago, Forks are level with tripleclamps. Oil level in forks is 100mm, factory hard terrain dunlops,frt clickers set at 9 clicks out. Still a problem!!!:think What about different viscosity oil or oil level??? or clicker settings? I am lost on this one. Fredett suggested just ride it until there is about 500 miles on it and see how it feels then(give it time to break in basically).Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!!!:ugg:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I would try turning in the fork compression adjuster two clicks and maybe adding some preload to the forks, as well. As Marcus Gunby suggested in another thread, perhaps the steering head bearings are a little loose.

Are you checking the rear sag while standing on the pegs, and bouncing the bike up and down a few times before taking the measurement? What is the front sag (static & race)? Is the headshake worse under braking or when on the gas?

BTW, a steering damper does a lot more than just reduce headshake. They are money well spent.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
if your riding in sandy or loose terrian, ditch the stock tires (after you check the headset bearings)

maybe try opening the compression clickers up a bit till the forks break in?

hang on more with your legs?

????? wheelie more???

just trying to help!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hmmmmmm...

Originally posted by Sage

????? wheelie more???

just trying to help!

maybe Sage is on to somehting. Ya know in those video tapes where Destry Abbot is riding his KX 500 for miles on the rear tire...I've never seen his bars get nervous at all!! :p

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…