cinco in W MI

Mar 10, 2006
Just wanted to say hello. I was searching around for trails in W MI and came across this site, and wadda ya know, they have a whole forum for just michiganders, so something is definetly wrong with the folks that run this place.

I live in Grant, 20 miles north of GR. I just bought a 97 KTM EXC 250 and will be looking to do some trail riding this year. Since I was a kid, this would be my first real dirt bike. I think my last one wolud have been a 76 El Gato! I have been rding street bikes for years, but the only place I was off road was when I got lost at Deals Gap and ended up back in some holler on 8 miles of dirt roads. Needless to say, its a lil different draggin a knee than what I am used to.

I will be doing some searches and pokin around a bit before I start asking too many dumb questions. I will ask this, I saw where someone was asking about sound limits and after market exhausts. Is this really a concern? I ride sleds all winter, and all the after markets are WAY loud, and I have never been checked or stopped for exhaust. Do dirtbikes have more of a problem?

I also saw a thread about the Northern tool tire changer. If your in need and in the area, I alrady have one and am happy to SHOW you how to change yours out. I can not change it for you, liability reasons and all. (do ya honestly think a guy who has his own is just gonna stand there?) I am happy to hang out in the barn and wrench anytime.

I decided to get a dirtbike since a couple good friends of mine have them already and are always hasseling me to get out and go riding with them. Since winter really sucked for sledding this year, I broke down and found one I liked. I wanted the enduro, street legal type for trips into town and to get to the trails, but I may never need that feature as all the guys I will be riding with are on CR250s and dont ride on the street ever.

I see theres several guys in the NE area. My buddy has a big dear camp on the west side of Alpena and we are hoping to ride up there a lot this summer.

Have a great one. Hope to see ya out on the trails, and dont stuff me in the corners!

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the site, hope to ride with you!
Shouldn't ask about sound on a first post, it makes all the following posts look like we're trying to run you off.. but I'll try to be as nice as possible:
Sound is a big issue (for sleds too). Keep your bike quiet and there's a better chance you'll continue to have places to ride (and people to ride with).

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Welcome! There is an old saying Less Sound = More ground. KTM EXC stock silencers do a good job of keeping the sound level down without hurting power. I've never felt the need to replace my ktm silencer or pipe.

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Welcome!

The CCC trail used to start near Newaygo, so you should be able to catch on with groups fairly close to home and work your way north to Wolverine, etc.

There's usually a ride near Atlanta which should be close to Alpena...

Keep in touch, this is a great group of guys...

Mike Sr.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
.......bur Sr., they are not all guys. Some are bribeable judges, yahoos, rotten suckers, fine lady riders, almost always lost and so on. At any rate Five from Grant, this a great group - period.

Trouble Maker

cinco in W MI

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I plan on keeping my stock exhaust, but was wondering what that was all about.

I got out Sunday with some guys on the trails. OK, what are "trails" in MI are apparently what the rest of the world calls "paths" Oh my word, narrow little paths, I put those bark busters to full use several times. Only launched it into the woods once! 14 whole miles in about 4 hours. It was still a blast, but I will be looking for more of the enduro trails and dirt roads to get out on soon. We were off skeels road, West of Fremont. I met a guy,, Randy sumthin who is like the SR off road champion and a bunch of guys who ride all the time. I was amazed at how they just whipped through the woods like nothin. I guess its just knowing what your doing and practice. Going from street to dirt, and then to those trails is a huge change for me.

I never knew 14 miles could make you so sore!

I know where the CCC trail is, but I think that is closed to everything except snowmobiles and foot traffic now unless I am mistaken. We have a cople books with al the trails marked out so I am sure we will be finding some new ground to cover shortly. (hopefully its a lil wider)

I know there is a place that used to be owned by a motorcycle group NW of Newaygo. You would go up Basswood and it was on the East side. It is more of a huge open area with some big sand and dirt dunes and a few trails. Anybody know if that is still open or if it is OK to ride around there?

Thanks agian, see ya round.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Cinco,
Please do not take offense to my comments:

It is very important that you follow the letter of the law when it comes to riding off road (if you do not have a liscense plate; only marked orv trails or private property with owners permission are legal - no dirt roads or 2 tracks in the lower P). I saw a quad and MX bike on Saturday blasting up and down a snowmobile trail by the Holton loop - this type of (illegal) activity will get all the riding in this area shut down - including the legal trail.

Our sport is under tremendous pressure from groups trying to eliminate our opportunties to ride at all. I suggest you continue to gather as much information as you can-this site is a good place to start.

FYI, real enduro trail is likely to be tighter than what you were on if you were riding on trails with orange triangles (ORV trail).

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
CircuitRider said:
Welcome!
There's usually a ride near Atlanta which should be close to Alpena...

Keep in touch, this is a great group of guys...

Mike Sr.

And if there is a ride near Atlanta, I am usually on it! Look me up if you ride up this way Cinco

If your ride with Woodsy, bring the compass :p

But as Sr. said - great group here! I have had an absolute blast hanging out with this group of whackos! Almost a guarantee you will manage to fit in with any part of us who gets together for a ride - dont matter if you are a AA Enduro PRO wanna be like Fred T, fatherandson etc. or if you are a slow guy newbie - if you ride, you will fit in!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
cinco in W MI said:
I got out Sunday with some guys on the trails. OK, what are "trails" in MI are apparently what the rest of the world calls "paths" Oh my word, narrow little paths, I put those bark busters to full use several times. Only launched it into the woods once! 14 whole miles in about 4 hours. It was still a blast, but I will be looking for more of the enduro trails and dirt roads to get out on soon. We were off skeels road, West of Fremont.

Sounds like you were riding Horseshoe or Holton Loops. Those are some of the tighter trails around here. Fun stuff. Youll get the hang of it after a while though. Just takes practice.

cinco in W MI

Mar 10, 2006
My bike is plated and insured, so no worries about that. I also have been battling for sledding routes and rights for years, so I understand that fight as well. I bet I can lay out where more of your trail permit money gets spent than most who have been riding for years, briefly, it aint on your sport! But thats another story.

You can rest easy I will know where I am riding and just what is allowed before I go anywhere. I have ordered the maps and printed off what I can. I will also get ahold of the private club that owns all the property in Newaygo before riding there.

We were north of the Holton loop. Turned north off skeels and the parked on the east side lot. It was all cycle trails, no ORVs allowed, at least thats what the tags said and i am sure a quad will not fit down that trail either.

Headed to White cloud next weekend to ride. Supposed to be a little wider, but may be a lot wetter, especially with all this rain. Otherwise maybe Cedar Creek, but that is supposed to be all whooped out.

Yes if I am headed up to Al'sPenis I will get in touch with you guys. I already got those guys cranked up to go riding this summer. The one camp is 1000 acres and has 2 tracks, paths, trails, and is just waiting to be played on.

I also stumbled onto some guys setting up some dual sport rides every saturday, so I will have a busy summer between dirt and street!

Take care.

John

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
cinco in W MI said:
We were north of the Holton loop. Turned north off skeels and the parked on the east side lot. It was all cycle trails

John

You WERE at Horseshoe - Jon introduced us, I was the guy on the lead blue bike as we 1st met you guys coming back in towards the staging area as we were going out.

Many of us do not consider horseshoe as a particularly tight trail other than perhaps that 1st little section (final little section for your group's travel direction - right after we met you).

Anyway my point is not to give up on what you now think is tight trail - we all felt that way at first but believe me it gets easier with seat time, more experience. You'll soon find yourself able to go faster and enjoying it more too - you'll be like the rest of us - searching out the more demanding trail to test your skills. In the mean time don't let anyone talk you into going to Evart or heaven forbid, something like Drummond Is. - wait til horseshoe is boring.

You've got the right idea with Cedar Creek and White Cloud, both are more open than Horseshoe but as mentioned above, don't give up on single track trails either, it just takes a little time.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
cinco in W MI said:
... The one camp is 1000 acres and has 2 tracks, paths, trails, and is just waiting to be played on. ....

John

1000 acres...biker friendly? :cool:

LMK when you get up this way!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Cinco - I just realize we have a similar bike back ground. I rode years ago, got big time into street bikes, some serious peg dragging and long distance sport touring. Got back into the dirt just over 5 years ago - at first on a 83 Honda CR250 I still had - then on a 97 KTM 300 EXC. I rode single track for the first time in 2001 - on my way to my first enduro race! The others are right - you will soon learn to love the stuff that right now seems impossibly tight! Meanwhile, ride what you can enjoy, with occasional EASY rides in the tight stuff. Find a trail like Atlatna A/B that lets you zig on and off of 50" trail, or get onto ultra wide route.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Hi John. :nener: We're going riding again saturday - I'm leaving the location up to Jon.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
cinco in W MI said:
I know there is a place that used to be owned by a motorcycle group NW of Newaygo. You would go up Basswood and it was on the East side. It is more of a huge open area with some big sand and dirt dunes and a few trails. Anybody know if that is still open or if it is OK to ride around there?

Thanks agian, see ya round.

Hey Cinco - WELCOME BROTHER!!!!!!
I know exaclty the place you are talking about!! Randy S. and I were up in that area a couple years ago checking it out and talking about memories.. Yea, its all closed down and private property now... Hey, speaking old days, do you recall McDonalds farm up in Rothbury?? How bout the race track up in Brohman (from the 70's). You and I have a lot in common too except I stayed in Dirtriding all these years and have ridden street since a kid too.. Never could shake either out of my system.. And I do sleds too..
Guess what, I am also your NEIGHBOR!! I live just South of the river on the back of the ol Jennings Farm! Got the Sled trail rightin the back yard!!
Good for you on having your scoot street legal brother! That is the ONLY way to travel now adays!! I remember when we could (and did) leave the house in Fruitport and ride allthe way to Baldwin on the ol Elsinore (new back then) unlicensed! Of course that was back when the "Public Land" was really public land and didnt belong to a bunch of Buro' Crats.. Oh wait, dont go there..... Ahhh yea, we GOTTA get a ride in since we're naighbors and all!!! I have a street legal KX500 that I ride alot or I ride one of my TTRs or I may steal someones bike if its sitting around..... :laugh:
Ohhhh, by the way, DONT believe everything you read on here about people getting lost and stuff... Remember, you cant judge a book by its cover!
Woodsy :ride:

cinco in W MI

Mar 10, 2006
Steve, yer a dork. Second place to Jon of course. We are going to WC. Correction, that was the plan, now we may be going to baldwin for some chicken dance. I just go where I am told. You bringing a new guy up with you? Ya know, now we have to assimilate ken. Have to get him out of the barn powder coating everything that aint bolted down.

Hey Woodsy, You have to be ancient, I only know those places from stories told by the ole folks around town. Ha ha! I moved here in 93 but my family has been in the area since, well, we settled it! I live on S Ferris, just west of town. right in the apple orchards. I would be happy to meet up anytime and go for a ride or just BS. If ya start talking dirt and I get glassy eyed and dazey, just shout out TRACKDAY! and I come right around. The only 2 stroke I've had to work on in years comes with a bar and chain, but show me once and I usually catch on quick.
I wont worry about getting lost. I can call Jon to come bail me out, I have a GPS, and the girlie wont let me leave the house without a sack lunch.
Do you get out much around locally riding? I ride the power lines and back roads over west of Hess lake on the sled and wondered how they were on the bike. From where you describe where you live, I am pretty sure I can get there only crossing blacktop a couple times from my place. I also have some property over there and know some trails that should be some fun, and no worries about getting into trouble.

See ya on out riding!

John Brooks
Cinco to all my riding friends

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Hey Woodsy,
Do You Remember Portland Trail Riders In The 70's?? You Need To Hook Up With Me And Trash Rider And Bring That Monster Kx500 Out And Throw Some Sand!!! We Will Be Opening The Track Soon For Members And I Am Chomping At The Bit To Ride. The Best Riding Out There Is Spring And Fall And I Like To Invite Guests To Ride With Me. The Mtr Bunch Sounds Like A Great Group, And I Hang At Jackpine On The Week-ends During The Summer And Fall With Maurer, Fred T. Etc. Let Me Know If Your Interested, Or Anyone Else Over There.
Dave Leathers.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
cinco in W MI said:
Do you get out much around locally riding? I ride the power lines and back roads over west of Hess lake on the sled and wondered how they were on the bike. From where you describe where you live, I am pretty sure I can get there only crossing blacktop a couple times from my place. I also have some property over there and know some trails that should be some fun, and no worries about getting into trouble.

I sure hope that you have a lic. plate on that bike of yours - otherwise from the sounds of where you intend to ride, you aren't doing any favors for the rest of us.

I don't mean to get in your face or anything like that but as dirt riders, we have a tough enough time trying to keep a decent image with the non-riding public and law enforcement types without somebody riding (perhaps illegally) thru their backyards, in front of their houses down a dirt road and only across a couple of blacktops. Every kid on a quad and everyone on a 2 wheeler gives the public their impressions of us every time they ride - Like I said, I certainly hope that bike of yours is legal and quiet if you're riding other than marked trail.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
katoom125 said:
I sure hope that you have a lic. plate on that bike of yours - otherwise from the sounds of where you intend to ride, you aren't doing any favors for the rest of us.

I don't mean to get in your face or anything like that but as dirt riders, we have a tough enough time trying to keep a decent image with the non-riding public and law enforcement types without somebody riding (perhaps illegally) thru their backyards, in front of their houses down a dirt road and only across a couple of blacktops. Every kid on a quad and everyone on a 2 wheeler gives the public their impressions of us every time they ride - Like I said, I certainly hope that bike of yours is legal and quiet if you're riding other than marked trail.

Randy I think you missed this post of Cincos:
"My bike is plated and insured, so no worries about that. I also have been battling for sledding routes and rights for years, so I understand that fight as well. I bet I can lay out where more of your trail permit money gets spent than most who have been riding for years, briefly, it aint on your sport! But thats another story."

Yea Cinco - it sounds like a HOOT!! I am ALWAYS looking for a kindred spirit in my area!! And am glad too that you are all set on the plates and stuff issue cause these guys are right - without them it causes a lot of problems.. I still get stopped on my KX every now and them but I usually leave smiling after educating the Coppers... Sometimes though it takes a Judge to get it thru those beady little eyes in the skull of the DNR to leave us legal folks alone (Just fought and won another one over in Brighton grrrrrrrrrrrr).
Anyway, Cinco - do you know the back way over to the Powerlines that run on the back of the Waste Water System?? It goes past the Channel 13 Tower and comes out on the Snowmobile trail (its a shared trail guys,,,,, IF you have a plate!!!!!!!)??? If you know where I am talking about you are within 10 minutes of my house!!! Heck Cinco - we may even have ridden together at some point and not even known it :laugh:
Hey - do you know Bruce and Brian - the local twins??? They are good friends of mine!!
Yea, Lets hook up this spring and get some local seat time in!! BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA{{{{}PPPPPPP..
Oh yea, do you sled over here at all?? I take my bike (with screws) out and leave the sled at home LOTS of times and go and race sleds through that back section!! Even that little TTR225 is hard to catch in the that tight stuff (for the sleds)! I know my Mach Z 800 wouldnt come close in the woods!! Now, in the open :nod:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
D.LEATHERS said:
Hey Woodsy,
Do You Remember Portland Trail Riders In The 70's?? You Need To Hook Up With Me And Trash Rider And Bring That Monster Kx500 Out And Throw Some Sand!!! We Will Be Opening The Track Soon For Members And I Am Chomping At The Bit To Ride. The Best Riding Out There Is Spring And Fall And I Like To Invite Guests To Ride With Me. The Mtr Bunch Sounds Like A Great Group, And I Hang At Jackpine On The Week-ends During The Summer And Fall With Maurer, Fred T. Etc. Let Me Know If Your Interested, Or Anyone Else Over There.
Dave Leathers.

YOu know Dave I think I do remeber the Portland guys.. I odnt think from McDonalds though.. Did I maybe Harescramble against some of them up at East Jordan in 73/74/75ish?? I ran the 3 hour 250 Class. That little Elsinore did FANTASTIC in the woods and I won overall on one (I bought two of them new) 2 years in a row.. Man those were great years!! What am I sayinggggggg, THESE are great years too!! I think back then those the Portland gang ran Huskys (I know the Lake Cycle guys ran Pentons and there were some guys from Rothbury who ran Montessa and Huskys - I think the dealer support for them was "Mundo").. Gosh thats going back a longgggg ways!!!!!
Anyway, if you are asking me to come ride a MX track your barking on the wrong rabbit. I raced MX for years too and had my share of high flying fun but those days are gone!! I have a little over 1/4 million dollars in my back and I gotta keep both wheels on the ground. I just putt now, kinda shoot from corner to corner as it were... If your talking about a woods track - sounds like fun!! My KX LOVES sand, my back HATES whoops, my whole body and spirit LOVES tight stuff (grew up on it) and I do lots of cross country (EVERYTHING) during the summer.. Anyway, ifany of what I just said sounds like what you have in mind - count me in!!! Oh yea, as someoine else already mentioned - I am a little on the sissy side so lets do it BEFORE the big dustbowl summer starts!! I usually stick to one of my choppers during those times :rotfl:
Let me know when!

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
woodsy said:
Randy I think you missed this post of Cincos:
"My bike is plated and insured

Woodsy: you're right I missed the other post - sorry abt that Cinco!

I used to patrol for the USFS so am a bit more sensitive to this issue than most perhaps.

cinco in W MI

Mar 10, 2006
No worries katoom, I understand trying to keep areas and trails open from knuckleheads who just show up and screw everyone else up. Yep I am all "legalled" up for roads. I also know where its OK to ride and stay out of trouble. We are a very rural area, so farms, fields, trails, and back roads are all connected in one way or another, you just have to find your way once or twice. My point of crossing blacktop once or twice was more directed at finding a fun and cool way to get there without just jumping on the road and driving over.

yeah Woodsy I know that trail. I have ridden my sled over there a bunch of times. I used to write a trail report and included that area as much as I could. The joy of living in the boonies is I can jump on the sled, take off cross country, and get to just about any trail without loading up and trailering somewhere. I just parted out my 800 Mach Z. No ice to race and too many other things going on to make it worth while. I still have the trail sled. Theres a club, Newaygo Snowchasers, that I met up with and tried to go riding with but I can never get ahold of anyone to set things up. I just end up going solo most of the time or go to MSA events. I have a couple day trips I try every year. Leave my place, up to Hess lake, through the woods to 82, across East to the white pine trail, north to Reed city, west on 10 to Baldwin, south back through WC, Newaygo, the around River road, over bridgeton, and back through woods to Grant. It takes all day and is quite an adventure but I like the long ride. You have to have a lot of snow though!
Yes, We'll have to get together and go riding and just meet up.

Top Bottom