Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Very nice website. I'm a 47y/o male living in southwest Georgia (near Tallahassee, Fla).
I started riding when I was in Jr. High. Family moved to very rural Louisiana and I began riding dirt bikes (Suzuki TS-90, gag, then bought a super nice Bultaco Pursang 250). I rode every day- before school, after school, every chance I got. The closest paved road was 5 miles so I got lots of dirt riding time. What else you gonna do in the middle of nowhere? I sold the Bultaco and started riding street bikes when I entered college and have owned a wide variety.
I sold my last bike about 2 years ago and would really like to get back on dirt bikes again. We have a motocross track about 5 miles from my house, and another about 15 miles from us. I'm tempted to get another mx bike, perhaps a vintage Husky or another Bultaco, and try some Hobby class races. I'm also considering a dual-sport bike so I can legally ride the many dirt roads here.
I'm sure that's more than you wanted to know! LOL!!
Always appreciate good advice on potential bikes.
Take care all.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Welcome to DRN, I'm glad you found us. The vintage bikes sure are fun, but you owe it to yourself to take a spin on a modern dirtbike. You'll be amassed how things have changed....and good you've gotten :) Really, the new crop of off-road bikes are so capable and confidence inspiring you’ll wonder how we ever survived back in the 70’s.

Browse the forums and please ask questions. The search engine is also a very good source of instant information.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
rv6junkie said:
The vintage bikes sure are fun, but you owe it to yourself to take a spin on a modern dirtbike. You'll be amassed how things have changed....

Agreed...the oldest bike I've ridden is an '86 XR200 and just the difference between that and my '03 WR250 is HUGE!

Welcome to the DRN Family!

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Thank you much rv6junkie and squeaky. I'll be sure to check out some newer bikes. I've wondered how the handling and power have improved over the years, as well as reliability.
Thanks!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Wow, you make it soooo easy by tossing out all the info! We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Check out the Southern Spodes local chapter forum for some opportunities to hook up with some local folks. Try out their bikes and you will have a bunch of good feeback as to the direction to go.

Vintage is great (I have 2 awaiting restoration) but as Gary and Squeaky said, there have been tons of changes that make the newer bikes much better handling bikes. The 4 strokes do take more maintenance and if you liked the powerband of the Pursang you will probably lean towards the 2 strokes. I have both, but feel much more comfortable with the 2 stroke. It steers with the rear tire like the old days while the 4 strokes steer with the front. They are also 20~30% heavier than a compariable 2 stroke although every year they are getting closer.

Check out and/or the post in the What Bike Do I Get... ? forum and you will get a pile of answers and opinions.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

BTW - What part of Louisiana were you in? Great state if you are an adult that likes to party :yeehaw:

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Hi Tony and thanks for the tips. I've been reading lots and lots of "What Bike?". I thought it was going to be pretty easy to find the right bike but now I dunno! There are so many to choose from- both new and vintage. I'm pretty sure I want to stay with a 2 stroke bike though none have really jumped out at me yet.

When my dad retired from the service we moved about 8 miles from Chatham Louisiana. Truly a one-stoplight town and a great area to ride in the dirt, or hunt. There were lots and lots of rarely or lightly travelled dirt roads and pipelines to ride on, as well some dirt pits. I later lived in Ruston, West Monroe, and Shreveport. Party? Yup, plenty of that in La. Wife and I still love to visit N.O. when we can.

Thanks again!

Angel

Oct 11, 2004
Welcome here, Vampirz.

Your history about bikes is very interesting, specially your Pursang. It was a mite here.

I love 2 stroke bikes and I understand that you too :cool: .

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Angel said:
Welcome here, Vampirz.

Your history about bikes is very interesting, specially your Pursang. It was a mite here.

I love 2 stroke bikes and I understand that you too :cool: .

Thank you for the welcome Angel.

I loaded lots of hay bales onto a flatbed truck one summer to pay for the Pursang and it was worth every drop of sweat I shed.

Yes, 2 strokes bikes for me please! I love the smell of pre-mix in the morning!
:ride:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
squeaky, you never rode the 84 cr500? I thought you did once. . :)
Welcome to DRN Vampyrz

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
It was, Sold it off a two years ago for a 98 500. That one sadly was stolen a year ago. Now I ride a thumper; CRF450.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Nope PK Only rode the 98

Top Bottom