hello & help - some kdx 200 problems

stable

Dec 29, 2008
Hello,

Well I finally did it - bought a bike and with a baby due last sat most would say i'm stupid!

I've haven't played with bikes sinse I was 16 and then it was old sheds of whatever I could get for a fiver so am looking for some pointers or directions to go...

So I got the air cooled Kawasaki KDX 200 home - kicked it over and it started which I was suprised at as was told hadn't been riden in a long time. So I ran it around for a bit then parked it up and checked it over. The clutch seemed sticky - but worked once I'd warmed it up. And the rear shock is shot. Then realised there was no oil in it! So filled it up and seems to run even better :coocoo:

So...

now the clutch just isn't working. action feels smooth and i've played with the cable tension to no avail - other than that the bike seems good.

So anyone got any suggestions... I'm good with cars but as mentioned a bit rusty with bikes. Is it simply a case of fitting a new clutch / plate / assembly? where would you get one from? Any online tutorials or anything?

many thanks for any replys.

Tom

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site Tom :)

I'm going to move this so we can get some experts forcused on your question.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
If you want useful advice, you will have to tell us exactly what the clutch is doing and is not doing, and when it is/isn't doing these things.
Just telling us it isn't working and asking what is wrong is like telling your doctor you don't feel good and expecting a complete diagnosis.
Help us help you. :cool:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
What year is this bike? Sounds like fun, I really like those old aircooled 2 strokes. I've had a few, and still have an old 73 Kawasaki 250 2 stroke.

Anyway, the first think I think of when a bike has been sitting for a long time is corrosion/degradation of the clutch friction plates. If the clutch does not disengage then most likely the friction plates are stuck. You can remove the cover, disassemble the clutch, and inspect/clean/oil the friction plates. After cleaning, I'd advise soaking them in whatever oil you plan on using the in the transmission.

J.

stable

Dec 29, 2008
mudpack said:
If you want useful advice, you will have to tell us exactly what the clutch is doing and is not doing, and when it is/isn't doing these things.
Just telling us it isn't working and asking what is wrong is like telling your doctor you don't feel good and expecting a complete diagnosis.
Help us help you. :cool:

stable said:
The clutch seemed sticky - but worked once I'd warmed it up

thanks for the replys people...

looks like it was down to the oil I used. Drained it well and put some appropriate oil in and all seems well. That'll teach me for running in head first :bang:

Seem to be some draconian rules on this forum for posting links / images :coocoo: Is there any way of showing you a pic...

Not sure of the year, late 80s I guess.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
get an account at photobucket and upload the photos there. then you can paste the image code from photobucket into your post here and wala! photos!!

Can't wait to see it,

J.

stable

Dec 29, 2008
yep yep that's it - tried hosting on my own server too to no avail, i'm not doing sumit silly i don't think, i've built my own forums!

kdx01jpg

kdx02.jpg

now it's working - don't know why it thought I was spam!

hope it was worth the hassle! she's a bit dirty but thats cos i live in the middle of a massive common!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I'm shure glade2ride will jump in on this as for year but let me tell you I know it an
86-88 kdx
also we can both attest that the magnets on the flywhell will fall off if its been (living)out in the weather so it is advisable for you to take the flywheel off and check the condition of everything clean it up with contact cleaner and the go to the hobby shop or towerhobbies.com and get some hanger 9 6 minute epoxy and mix some up and seal them magnets in there one at a time till all the end spaces are are filled in with epoxy.
Don't use that silly putty looking stuff or jb weld use liquid epoxy

stable

Dec 29, 2008
thanks for the info peeps, i'll get on it!

don't suppose anyone can steer me in the direction of an new front brake lever - in the UK - ebay has everything but the kdx200 :/

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I may be wrong about the year ...if it has grab handles on the rear frame behind the seat then 83-85 model I missed the grab handles when i looked at the pic first time but I am confused about the disc brake up front.!!
In the states you can buy new handles from parts unlimited you should have something like that in the uk

bigbolx

Dec 25, 2007
stable said:
yep yep that's it - tried hosting on my own server too to no avail, i'm not doing sumit silly i don't think, i've built my own forums!

kdx01jpg

kdx02.jpg

now it's working - don't know why it thought I was spam!

hope it was worth the hassle! she's a bit dirty but thats cos i live in the middle of a massive common!

hi stable,
where in the uk are you???
try CRADLEY KAWASAKI for an OE front brake lever, about £10ish (all the kawasaki dealers in the uk order from them anyway)
your bike looks like a 88 C3 model (should have a kehin carb, the 87 C2 had a mikuni)
as sr5bidder says check the flywheel!!!

Top Bottom