Hello , Looking for 2nd bike. Info inside.

Jan 16, 2010
Hello so i had a 98 kawasaki yx250 (i think) and im now looking for a new one. Previous owner didnt took good care of it and not worth repairing (since cost was 300(also tell me if its good /bad deal)) not really broke it runs but has problems that my brother fixes from time to time.

Here is my info.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) Around 140lb and 5'6"
2) I like to try my best in everything and since im getting a good helment and boot im going to be way more aggressive than I was being.
3) Plan on riding with friends, along a river and posibly track later on.
4) Can't do much tricks(since i wasnt even wearing a helment I didnt risked it) but I do have experience.
5) If I can sure I will, interested on freestyle later on jumping its fun :D
6) Probably my brother will help on small things otherwise I will take it to a shop.
7) Brand not really, motor 2-stroke for sure.
8) I do have couple dealers, basicly they carry every brand.
9) Depends on what you recomend I might be willing to go lower or higher on my budget I want a bike that its upgradeable in the future for jumps/some racing.
10) Im from Tx
11) 16
12) Well I would like something that has power :p

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
You are probably thinking of a Kawasaki KX250. Yamaha makes a YZ 250..you just combined the two. A 250 motocross bike is alot of power for someone your size. If you are set on a 2 stroke, I would probably start on a 125...maybe a YZ125 or a CR125 (Honda). Dont ride until you have a good helmet and boots...period.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
So what is so wrong with the Kawasaki that makes it not worth repairing?

$300 is cheap for a major brand bike that runs. If it shifts through all the gears, the wheels are reasonably round, the forks are straight and the engine runs at all I would expect that it would be worth repairing.

You didn't provide any dollar figure on your budget, but since a helmet and boots seems to be an issue I would guess that buying a brand new bike is out of the question.

If you are going to take it to a shop for every significant repair/maintenance item that comes up then buying new (or at least newer) would be a really good thing. With a new bike you are at least starting with a good base. If you don't maintain it, however, it will lose a lot of value fairly quickly.

If you are buying a used bike then you should expect to spend some money fixing it up and keeping up on the maintenance. A MX bike will have a high performance engine that needs significant maintenance to keep them running properly. Rebuilding the top end (piston & rings) is recommended after only 20 hours of use. You can often let it go a lot longer but if you wait until it fails a $150 top end rebuild can turn into a $1500 rebuild.

Likewise on chains & sprockets. They wear out, and if you change them before something breaks it is $100. If the chain breaks and jams into the engine case it can totally destroy the engine.

When you buy another used bike be sure to ask the seller how long it has been since the top end was rebuilt. If it has been a long time, or the seller can't tell you when it was rebuilt last, assume it needs one ASAP.

Like YZ_rider said, a 125cc two stroke MX bike would be a good bike. Buy as new as your budget will allow. Be sure to leave some budget for repairs and additional riding gear (knee pads, chest protector, gloves, goggles)

Rod

Jan 16, 2010
Its a Kx250 sorry. Anyways I just want a new bike (newer not brand new). I also have a yamaha125 and its to short (i know yo can set suspension) and overall small, I don't like the feel of it, I guess to small.

My budget its around $3000(bike only) give or take. I like suzuki,KTM and yamaha but im up for sugestions.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
I would guess that your Yamaha 125 is probably a TTR, is that correct? A stock YZ125 would be tall for someone of your height. Just because one bike has a 125cc engine doesnt mean it is the same as the next 125cc...its all about engine design...2 stroke vs 4 stroke and MX vs trail. A healthy 125cc motocross bike, such as a YZ125 or KX125, will tear apart a TTR250 (4 stroke trail bike) in a sprint.

Jan 16, 2010
I don't know much about if its ttr or not, but its a 2stroke (isnt ttr 4?) and maybe im taller now Since thats a height of a the last time i checked and i have been growing

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
In my opinion, a 250 2 stroke would be too much. Find a YZ,CR, KX, or RM 125 and take it on a test ride. I think you will find it has plenty of power for you. Check Craigslist...I have bought and sold several bikes on Craigslist.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
In all the major brands a 125cc two stroke is made in the same size frame as the 250 two stroke. A typical seat height on a 125/250 two stroke is 38 to 39 inches. Front wheel size will be 21", rear wheel will be either 18 or 19 inches. There is no way that you would consider a 125cc two stroke as being "too small".

The 125 four stroke models are all "minis" and would be a lot shorter, with a seat height of 31 to 32 inches. The Yamaha TTR125 comes in two sizes: The TT-R125 has a 17" front wheel, 14" rear while the TT-R125L has a19" front and 16" rear. Neither of these bikes would be suitable for you.

A step up from the mini in the tail bike class are the 230cc four stroke trail bikes, such as the Yamaha TT-R230 or the Honda CRF230F. These have a seat height of 34 inches on a significantly larger frame, 21/18" wheels. Their limited suspension travel make them unsuitable for MX track use. Most teenage boys I know would be too embarrassed to be seen riding a TTR ......

Bottom line, a 125 two stroke is the best fit for you. It is a bit tall for you right now but if you grow another inch then it will be fine. If you don't grow there are a few tricks to make it a little shorter for you (shaving the seat foam down or installing a lowering spacer on the rear suspension). A 125 will have plenty of power for someone of your weight and size.

Rod

Jan 16, 2010
Ok, But I was wondering then what bike do I have (the 125cc) since it IS a 2-stroke and its a LOT shorter than my 250cc that its also a 2-stroke.I will take pics to for you to discuss.

Btw what do you guys like better 2 or 4-stroke? I seen most peopl now days like 2-stroke better.

Top Bottom