Help a guy out

trey55

Apr 7, 2007
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'2 260
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I am plenty strong but not overly aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mainly fields, some tracks, jump terraces and such.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
street bikes for the last 4 years or so.
5) Do you think you will race ?
not competitively
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yep
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?four stroke looking at DRZ400 or KTM 450sx right now
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? just about everything
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
around 5K
10) Do you live in California?
Got out just in time, live in Missouri
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I've a deal on a KTM450sx for 5200 brand new 2005 if that is a bike that would work for me or I can get a decent price on a DRZ400e. I would really like an electric start and headlight but neither is a necessity.

Jan 3, 2007
The DRZ is great if you are strong, wich you said you are so that should go hand in hand. But if you can find one a KTM 525XC would be your best bet.

trey55

Apr 7, 2007
can it handle it

I have been thinking more and more and I might actually do alot more track racing than I originally thought. Will the DRZ400 be able to handle some decent jumping with my weight 260 lbs? I am now thinking of maybe any 450 with electric start are there any that are better cost is no longer an issue I'll buy whatever is going to fit me best.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You do not want to be jumping a DRZ or spending anytime on a track on one. If that is going to be a larger part of your riding I'd look more closely at several of the 450's with e-start like the CRF450X or the KTM450EXC or XC bikes.

Jan 3, 2007
trey55, It dose not matter what kind of bike you buy stock you are going to at least put in stiffer springs. I know this because i am 220lbs.

The DRZ may not be good for a smaller guy to go to the track with, but i have seen guys your size beat 450s on them.

I still think you would be best off with a 525 because of the power and the great suspesion.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
The 2007 KTM 450SX is the only e-start motocross bike you can buy, any bike you buy will have to be resprung if you want to ride any motocross.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
RMZRyder said:
The 2007 KTM 450SX is the only e-start motocross bike you can buy, any bike you buy will have to be resprung if you want to ride any motocross.

he doesnt have to buy a MX bike if he only plans on doing some MX, and besides, the 450SXF's price tag and weight might leave him reconsidering :nod: .

Jan 3, 2007
RMZRyder said:

The fact the SX has a DOHC engine makes it harder to work on and more expensive to fix, where as the EXC has a SOHC engine wick is like working on the old hondas.

trey55

Apr 7, 2007
thanks

Well I decided today and acted on it. I bought an 06 yzf450. Got about 20 min on it today and absolutely soiled myself with joy. What a blast. I know I ended up getting something that I didn't sound like what I wanted but I really think I made the right choice. It really isn't that hard to kick start and who needs lights at those speeds. Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
The fact the SX has a DOHC engine makes it harder to work on and more expensive to fix, where as the EXC has a SOHC engine wick is like working on the old hondas.
DOHC motors are not much harder to work on, and a 525 has a healthy price tag also, why didnt you guys just tell him to get a KDX??? :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…