Help a newbie out please..

jacobm

Feb 10, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm Jake. I guess I'm a newbie.. I've ridin' a few bikes from time to time but never owned one. I need some help finding my first bike..

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
- I'm 5'9", just under 200 pounds

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
-I work out everyday, and I'm a big fellow so..

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
-See.. this part is confusing.. MX? SX? what are the differences? I have about 20 acers to ride around in and a mile long dirt driveway weaving to the paved road. It's all woods with multiple trails through it from my 4-wheeler. Mud, rocks, sticks, gravel at some places... all of the above. My house is really in a bowl of sorts.. with a hill surrounding me on 3 of 4 sides and my property line runs right along the top of the hill.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
-I've ridin a few bikes, from 125s to a 250 once. I laid the 250 down on a sharp turn in wet grass and haven't been on a bike since. That was about 6 years ago.

5) Do you think you will race ?
-I seriously doubt it..

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
-I'm an automotive tech so yes, I'll be doing all the work I can..

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
-From what I've found out so far, 2 strokes are easier to work on and this won't be a dual use bike.. no paved roads at all so I'ma stick with 2 stroke I think. I guess my preference would be honda.. yamaha.. not sure really.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
-I'll be going with a used bike so..

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
-I really want to keep the cost at a minimum on the bike itself. 500-750 would be highly desirable.. seems about right for a used bike doesn't it? Just remember I'm only 20 and the budgets tight

10) Do you live in California?
-No

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
-Remember I'm a newbie so an easy to operate and ride bike is definately high on my priorities..

Thank you
Jake

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
a CR125 would do good. you can get them for $1,000 if you look hard. my friends dad got a bored out CR125 that made it into a 160 or 170cc, something like that. saying that, he only payed 1600 for it.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
At your size (No offense), I would really recommend that you save up until you have atleast double your current budget and look for an older model 250 2 stroke.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
On that budget it would be hard to get anything... but a 2- stroke 125 would be good for you (kx,cr,yz,rm) and you can find them for about 1000-1200.

:ride:

chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
if you got the guts, go for a 250 2-stroke, with that kind of budget, your looking at pre-1995, they run bout 1200$, i know your budget it small, but you will need more money, trust me

you will find 125's blow-up too much, and not alot of power specially for your size, 250's are pretty endless when it comes to power, im 6'1, and 185-190 lbs, when i went to a 2000 CR250, it was a steep learning curve, but it paidoff once i learned the bike, and it gives you a good workout for sure

when im done school itll be CR500 time! lol, suicide

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…