help an old dt250 to start

gp999

Nov 27, 2004
Hey everyone,
Love these forums and have searched (not exhaustively) on hints/troubleshooting starting problems.

bought a 72 dt250 few yrs ago, it ran, but had rpm range problems. Then I could not start. Let sit for a yr and now I'm determined to get this running and sale.
gas was dirty, tank had oil settles and sludgy, took head apart and gauged badly. Kid sold it to me with no air filter and no baffle. Now I know better.

got used cylinder and piston/rings installed, cleaned carb/tank and have a spark. (is there such a thing as weak spark and how do you tell?)
did a compression test and its approx. 125 psi.
spark is blue and is either wet from gas or oil. Thought maybe my oil level was to high and drained a little.

I figure if oil is getting to the spark plug the rings would be bad. Right? If so, would the compression still be 125?

I noticed when kicking, air is blowing back out the carb. Reed bad? If so, how important is reed? how important is compression?
basically, whats the 1,2,3 of getting a 2 stoke started.

Any help or suggestons welcomed and thanks
GP

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…