Help! broken advancer shaft

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
after installing my new cylinder I think I may have broken somthing towards the bottom of the advancer shaft. like an idiot I turned the nut without holding the shaft. now the whole mechanism turnes but doesn't spring back into the closed position. what do I need to do? remove the right side cover? also, what part in there did I most liklely break?

thanks
kaw Bill

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Pull the right cover and look for the rest of the shaft, its a small piece of metal with a steel pin riveted to it with a break mark on the other side of the steel pin.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
sage, do i need to remove the clutch cover and the water pump cover in order to remove the right side engine cover?

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
the little clutch cover can stay as long as you remove the thru bolts, the water pump can stay but its a lot easier to pull it and get the impeller off so you don't have to fight the gear

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I pulled the cover and as far as I can tell nothing is broken. I just can't figure out why the power valve wont snap back to the closed position. Also, do I need to replace the kickstarter shaft seal when i put it back together?

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I figured it out. The lever on the bottom of the advancer shaft was bent. After further inspection I realized it was also cracked.

kaw Bill

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
BRUSH,

How do you like your EG 225 kit. How's the power compaired to stock?

kaw Bill

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I agree. I rode it today after I got it halfway put back together. Definately has more power. Problem is, my powervalve won't shut all the way. I think I'm going to pull the cylinder off and disasemble the valves. They don't seem to be operating smoothly.

kaw Bill

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…