Help Canadian Dave!

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
Dave, I just finished installing my 225 cylinder from **** on my 96 KDX 200 and have a problem. while running the bike without the Kips shaft cover I notice that the power valve opens but doesn't shut on it's own. If I reach down and shut it it will close and my bottom end power is restored. The shaft doesn't seem to be bent or anything. Is it possable it could be twisted and the lever that sits inside the centrifigal advancer thigamajigger is out of place as a result? The lever is brand new as I replaced it after breaking it. Also, when I operate the power valve manually with out the top of the shaft connected to the power valve gear there seems to be alot of resistance. There's a point in the valve stroke were it seems to turn harder and then it gets easier. Does that seem normal to You?

thanks
kaw Bill

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
Dave, I just rechecked the power valve and noticed the valve operates pretty smothly when being opened but there's resistance when closing it.

kaw Bill

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
There could be a number of things causing your problem. Are you should the vertical actuating arm is properly located in the centrifugal advancer i.e. not twisted? Are you sure the centrifugal advancer is properly installed and not binding in the case? Be sure to double check. If its out of place it will/can punch a hole in the side of the case fairly soon.

If I understand what you are saying its not operating smoothly with the shafts disconnected so check out the following too:

Is the main exhaust valve hanging up and preventing the system from closing properly? Was everything cleaned well before reassembling the KIPS system? i.e. was all the carbon removed.

At the end of the shaft there is a ball bearing, a spring and a bolt that holds it in place. There is a washer between the bolt and cylinder. If the washer isn't installed there will be some binding. Check and insure the washer is in place.

David

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
Dave,

thanks for all the info. I figured it out. The nut that holds the main shaft on was over torqued. everything is working fine now as far as I can tell. The powervalve moves alot easier when operated manualy now. The advancer shaft lever cover is back on now so I can't visually see it closing. I'll know more when I get it out of the alley and into the dirt.

thanks,

kaw Bill

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Excellent trouble shooting!!

With the nut too tight, the gear on top of the advancer shaft will exert pressure on the main shaft. The teeth are supposed to engage, but there shouldn't be any 'squeezing' going on.

Dang! It's good to see problems resolved! :)

Be sure to let everyone know what you think of the ***** 225!! (i want one, i want one)

BTW, manual activation of the KIPS assy (say by rotating the nut under the LH cover) should be smooth, and it should return to detent (the spring/ball part CDave mentioned) all by itself.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
CANYANCARVR,

I was acually talking about the the shaft that runs horizontally. the one with the gear on the end of it that meshes with the geared claw on the end of the advancer shaft. I think you thought i ment the one on the top of the advancer shaft that holds the geared claw like thing. The nut is acually on the left side of the motor. In any case, it made a huge difference. As far as how I like the 225 kit, from what i can tell just running it up and down beside my alley it seems to have much better bottom end power. I was pulling second gear power wheelies basically right off idle. Somthing I could only do on pavement before. I went with the more better everywere porting so I hope it does just as well in the upper revs. I'll do an update after my first real ride. There aren't any riding areas near my house so it may be a while.

kaw Bill

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I'd like to put together a 225 article. So if you wouldn't mind jotting a few thing down comparing the power delivery of your stock to modified top end and fire it off my way I'll get started on an article. KelvinKDX is doing the same things. It looks like we have at least 3 or 4 regulars running 225 kits, which should allow for lots of input. Anyone else with 225 kits please consider doing the same and I'm sure Eric Gorr will be able to provide some input as well

Thanks

Email JustKDX@hotmail.com

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
C-Dave, I just jotted down a few tidbits of info in another thread called KelvinKDX's 225 ride report. Feel free to ask any questions.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
Dave

It may take a while but I'd be glad to give you the scoop on my 225 kit. Probably three to four weeks before I'll get a chance to actually ride on some dirt.

kaw Bill

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…