Help finding the right carb slide

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Hi everyone.
I have a 1993 KDX250SR:F3.
I am trying to replace the #5 slide for a #6 slide.
I ordered a #6 from JD Jetting and upon receiving it, unfortunately it was the wrong size. (too big)

BigRedPaul

BigRedPaul

The #5 slide is the one at the bottom and as you can see, a ways smaller.
I have contacted JD about returning the wrong slide and getting the correct one if they stock them. I am waiting a reply.

In case JD doesn't stock the smaller slide, does anyone know where I can order it?
Can anyone give me a quick heads up on different carbs and slide sizes so I don't make the same mistake twice.
Best wishes
Paulkdx250sr

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Your SR has a smaller diameter carb than the regular KDX250, so you need a #6 slide for your carb, and not a #6 slide for a regular KDX250.

The #5 and #6 refer to the millimeters of cutaway at the bottom. You can see this in your 2nd photo, where your stock SR #5 slide clearly has less cutaway than the #6 KDX250. More cutaway on the slide will absoltutely make the bike run leaner at low and mid rpm, and can really benefit some bikes.

Hopefully JD can get you the slide you want. Make sure they know your bike is the SR, and tell them the model and diameter of your carb.

As an alternative, it is possible to grind away 1mm of cutaway from your stock slide opening to make a homebuilt #6. Scribe a line and work up to it with a dremel. Of course, there is no turning back once you remove material.

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
Your SR has a smaller diameter carb than the regular KDX250, so you need a #6 slide for your carb, and not a #6 slide for a regular KDX250.

The #5 and #6 refer to the millimeters of cutaway at the bottom. You can see this in your 2nd photo, where your stock SR #5 slide clearly has less cutaway than the #6 KDX250. More cutaway on the slide will absoltutely make the bike run leaner at low and mid rpm, and can really benefit some bikes.

Hopefully JD can get you the slide you want. Make sure they know your bike is the SR, and tell them the model and diameter of your carb.

As an alternative, it is possible to grind away 1mm of cutaway from your stock slide opening to make a homebuilt #6. Scribe a line and work up to it with a dremel. Of course, there is no turning back once you remove material.

dirt bike dave,
thank you for the reply. In my blissful ignorance, I thought all Keihin carburetors had the same diameter slides. :coocoo:

May I ask a few more questions, and once again excuse my ignorance:

How can I clarify my carb model and diameter?

If JD can’t sort me out and I decide to grind the slide myself, do I have to treat the new exposed metal in any way after grinding?

Thank you in advance.

Paul

PS: JD just said that they don't stock the smaller slides, so if anyone has a lead, much appreciated.

Last edited:

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Quick up-date:

I took the slide to the machine shop boys and they are going to machine 1 mm off for me, so hopefully that will be the slide shorted.

I am now having trouble finding the required needle jet:

16009-1527 NEEDLE-JET,R1367H

On all the parts OEM Part lists, this is the only needle not offered anymore! WTF? :bang:

SOS !

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
DBragg said:
CEH is as close as you are going to get. CEH is 1/2 half a clip leaner, in any clip position than R1367h. So in other words... CEH #3 is the same as r1367H clip position #2.5.

Above is todays fish... you eat for free!!! ;) Below is the fishing lesson. I hope that you find it useful in your jetting endeavors.

http://www.keihin-us.com/am/_media/pdf/pwk-pj_jetneedles.pdf

Enjoy! :cool:

DBragg,
much appreciated. I am with you on the fishing allegory.
My best wishes to you.
Paul

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Just a quick update in case is anyone out is there trying to get the 250 running clean and having problems getting the parts.

In the end:

-Machined 1mm off the stock #5 slide
-Main Jet #130
-Pilot #42 (which is standard)
-Needle ordered from Kenso Corporation, 2nd clip from top
Kenso - Bakudan-Kit needle serial number: 00211-0102

The recommend R1367H needle is not available on any continent in the world.

Verdict
If I am not very careful, I will lose my licence on the bike now. :rotfl:

Top Bottom