1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
The last phase of restoring the CR 250 is putting the linkage back together, and the swing arm back on. I attached the swing arm to the linkage to help line up where the swingarm goes in between the frame, but the problem is with both end spacers it will NOT fit. It is like 1/8" from fitting in the frame, and I have tried everything I could think of the get it in place. I noticed the right side collar that fits inside the bearing is longer for some reason, and if I remove one of the spacers on the seal it fits in the frame perfect. My friend said to put the motor in first to help align, but I think it would be more in the way (the linkage connected seems to align it fine). Any tips so I can put it together properly? I tried searches online and I nobody seems to know, Id hate to bring it to the shop just for this because I already spent $100 having all the bearings pressed in. :bang:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like your bearing races are too big. Maybe the spacers are not needed with the bearings you got. Might check to see if there was a production change, you got an earlier or later version.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I got the Boss Bearing swingarm kit, and it came with the bearings but not the internal collars so I re used them. One is bigger then the other and was told the larger goes on the right side. I think the spacers that fit inside the outer bearing seals need to be in there, I'm not finding much info on this, all I know is if it came out it must fit back in?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Did you remove the collars? Did they seat fully when you put them back in?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Is #8 sitting well into the seal? It should be almost flush with the outside of the seal. If you didn't get the bearings pushed in all the way #8 won't seat properly and the total width will be off.....

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I had a machine shop press them in, the bearings seem flush with the inside of the swingarm lip. Only thing that crossed my mind is if one bearing is bigger then the other and he put them in the wrong sides? Either way they are both bearings are flush with the lip. However when I put the washer > thrust bearing >seal > and then spacer in, but the spacer sticks out enough from the seal to where it wont fit in the frame. Fits perfect with one removed though!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well no I have no help and can't seem to get it myself, what would happen if i put it together without one of the spacers? My guess is side to side play in the swingarm enough to feel, and the bearings wearing fast?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Correct, the seal will have nothing to seal against so water/mud will get right in and ruin your new bearings....I wouldn't even consider reassembling until everything was together properly.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well I couldnt sleep tonight, so I decided to file about 1/16 or less off each side of both spacers and clean them up. I managed to tap it in place lightly, and it seems to pivot freely. PHEW! Only thing is the right inside bearing collar is longer then the left and sticks out about 1/4 inch or less where the motor fits inside the swingarm. These are the collars that came out the bike, so it has to fit together somehow? Will try in the am, thanks for all the help.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well the motor and all went in well, but I think the longer swing arm bearing collar is supposed to go on the left side of the swingarm because the kickstarter hits the frame on the right side now. The longer collar on the left side would bring it over more im assuming, enough for the kickstart to clear the frame?

Top Bottom